Possible Radeon issue

hslayer

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
After downloading the 7189 Radeon drivers for Win98 (for a 64DDR/VIVO) I started having serious issues with video. Video out is ALWAYS enabled if anything is connected during boot (killing my monitor's refresh rate) and always disabled if nothing is connected during boot. This can't be changed in the driver. Additionally, video in dies after a few minutes use and only rebooting can get it to work again. Everything worked fine before I installed these drivers. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas for a fix short of returning to the previous driver (with it's crap DX8 performance)? I've already tried e-mailing ATI tech support (twice), and haven't even gotten a confirmation e-mail that it was received.

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
have you thought about using orriginal drivers or Alternate Driver - 4.13.7075
Posted March 20, 2001
This is a fully released and supported display driver, which supports Windows ME, Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE. DirectX 8 and OpenGL support are included.

hslayer

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
Yeah, 7075 did work when I was using it. Thing is, 7189 is a whole lot faster in DX8 games.

Since I posted that I've called phone support. Turns out it's an issue with my 2nd graphics card. Of course, that doesn't let them off the hook because it's also an ATI (Xpert98). The guy seemed really surprised (and kind of disturbed) by this bizarre interaction and promised to escalate it on their end.

I wonder if I've just caused the ATI driver team a bunch of upcoming late nights while they figure out what's going on.