Sign in with
Your question

Quick inquiry concerning maximum wattage for slot and workarounds...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 27, 2012 4:56:25 PM

Hello,

So I am posting here as I simply do not have the needed knowledge or experience in this field and feel uncomfortable making a decision on my own...

Here is my situation:
I found a great deal on a HP 8200 Elite with i5 2500 for 370$ shipped to me in Canada. When i bought it I realized there was no gpu included (only integrated).

One thing I failed to notice though, was the fact that it was a small form factor desktop. In fact I had no idea what this was.

This leads to my problem: I was planning on using a high end gaming gpu alongside an upgraded psu with this desktop, and do feel there are viable options in the low profile format, but according to this : (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13879_na/...)

See page 21.

My Pc Express 2.0 x16 slot is limited to a mere 25w!

This would lead me to going with something like the radeon hd 6450, but honestly, I was looking at much better cards.

My question is:

Can I create a workaround to this wattage limit?
By using a second externally located power supply?
By diy eGPU using a Pci to express card adapter (is the performance going to be limited?)?

I am picturing simply buying an adequately rated power supply (with long power cables) kept outside my pc enclosure, using it to power the gpu that would be located INSIDE my pc on the only x16 slot I have... But I have no idea how the card is actually powered or where the 25w limit is taking effect (through the slot or the power supply)?

Is this possible?

I would really appreciate some help...

Much love to you all.
a c 154 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 5:20:15 PM

Higher end graphics cards require more power through a 6pin or 8 pin connection.

Since you will need a new power supply for a higher end card, I would suggest you also getting a new case to fit the card as well as for better cooling, and fitting an atx psu.
September 27, 2012 5:21:54 PM

As far as I know its 75 watts. And cards that need more power than that get there power from the power supply through six pin PCIe power cables. So what you actually need to look at is if your power supply is strong enough to provide the rated wattage to the card. You also need to make sure the card fits in the case. But I'm pretty sure this external power supply thing is totally unnecessary. If you do need a stronger power supply you'd just replace the power supply and that one power supply will power the whole pc. :) 
!