Why do I seem to have traffic...nothings on?

SL

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hello folks,

I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc is
on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty reliable I
guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate all bloatware/spyware/adware
etc... Escentially, there is "nothing" communicating over the net yet I
always seem to get a small trickle of incoming data at about 30 KB/sec. I
use Adelphia cable if that matters.

What Im wondering is, what is communicating to do this? All firewalls etc.
are disabled. Is it simply communicating this small data back and forth to
Adelphia?

thanks all,
Sl

Joe

SL wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc is
> on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty reliable I
> guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate all bloatware/spyware/adware
> etc... Escentially, there is "nothing" communicating over the net yet I
> always seem to get a small trickle of incoming data at about 30 KB/sec. I
> use Adelphia cable if that matters.
>
> What Im wondering is, what is communicating to do this? All firewalls etc.
> are disabled. Is it simply communicating this small data back and forth to
> Adelphia?
>
> thanks all,
> Sl

Yes, Even dial up modems do this, all do i suppose. I'm not exactly sure
what it's doing with data, but I think something is happening from isp
to the modem in all cases. I'm just not exactly sure what. Some isps
ping randomly to see if someone has open ports or whatever like running
servers and maybe the isp doesn't like servers, other times they monitor
connections to make sure they're up and when one goes down they can then
know about it faster. most likely it's people running port scans and
hackers. i say this because pretty much on all networks everywhere all
the time there is at least one guy out there port scanning to see what's
open and so forth. i have a high end internet security appliance that in
the log shows this activity constantly, so i told it not to show me in
the log port scans and those types of info because it's being blocked
and fills up the log tons. 99.9% what you are seeing is the same thing,
just people online running port scans seeing what's out there and
possibly some of them have wrong intentions with that.

yer safe mostly so long as nothing is getting through your router.

Joe wrote:
> SL wrote:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc
>> is on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty
>> reliable I guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate all
>> bloatware/spyware/adware etc... Escentially, there is "nothing"
>> communicating over the net yet I always seem to get a small trickle of
>> incoming data at about 30 KB/sec. I use Adelphia cable if that matters.
>>
>> What Im wondering is, what is communicating to do this? All firewalls
>> etc. are disabled. Is it simply communicating this small data back
>> and forth to Adelphia?
>>
>> thanks all,
>> Sl
>>

> Yes, Even dial up modems do this, all do i suppose. I'm not exactly sure
> what it's doing with data, but I think something is happening from isp
> to the modem in all cases. I'm just not exactly sure what. Some isps
> ping randomly to see if someone has open ports or whatever like running
> servers and maybe the isp doesn't like servers, other times they monitor
> connections to make sure they're up and when one goes down they can then
> know about it faster. most likely it's people running port scans and
> hackers. i say this because pretty much on all networks everywhere all
> the time there is at least one guy out there port scanning to see what's
> open and so forth. i have a high end internet security appliance that in
> the log shows this activity constantly, so i told it not to show me in
> the log port scans and those types of info because it's being blocked
> and fills up the log tons. 99.9% what you are seeing is the same thing,
> just people online running port scans seeing what's out there and
> possibly some of them have wrong intentions with that.
>
> yer safe mostly so long as nothing is getting through your router.

Port scans make sense to happen periodically but 30KB/sec is way to
excessive for a mere port scan continously. I could understand that if
it was temporary but you should NOT have 30KB of your bandwidth stolen
like that. That said, I admit I don't know what might cause that.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

use a protocol analysis program and find out.. (www.ethereal.com) . my best
guess is that you are seeing misconfigured windows machines doing netbios
name broadcasts out to the net. and are you sure its really 30KB?
jwm