Versus, aka Exalted Modern

Who else here has seen Versus? - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275773/

My god, this movie redefines over-the-top. Let's see:

- Zombies
- Vampires
- Yakuzae (only one syllable away from ninjae)
- Katanae (with a chic industrial look, so as not to look anachronistic in
a modern-day movie, you know)
- Guns
- Black trenchcoats
- Zombie yakuzae with guns
- Vampire yakuzae with guns and katanae
- Harley-Davidsons
- Yakuzae wearing black trenchcoats with guns and katanae, riding a Harley
- A Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle, wielded from the hip (!)

All they needed were a few pirates and dinosaurs to round it out, but not
to worry, I'm sure they'll be in the sequel. Heck, from the epilogue, it's
already going to feature a katana with a red dot targeting system. After
that, I'll take anything.

I was watching it while eating a meatlovers pizza, and I'm thinking hang
on, the stuff going into my mouth looks exactly the same as the stuff
getting sprayed around on the screen. Which, combined with 5.1 surround
sound, made for the perfect action movie experience, I can say.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

Hong Ooi wrote:

> Who else here has seen Versus? - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275773/

I have.

> My god, this movie redefines over-the-top. Let's see:
>
> - Zombies
> - Vampires
> - Yakuzae (only one syllable away from ninjae)
> - Katanae (with a chic industrial look, so as not to look anachronistic in
> a modern-day movie, you know)
> - Guns
> - Black trenchcoats
> - Zombie yakuzae with guns
> - Vampire yakuzae with guns and katanae
> - Harley-Davidsons
> - Yakuzae wearing black trenchcoats with guns and katanae, riding a Harley
> - A Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle, wielded from the hip (!)
>
> All they needed were a few pirates and dinosaurs to round it out, but not
> to worry, I'm sure they'll be in the sequel. Heck, from the epilogue, it's
> already going to feature a katana with a red dot targeting system. After
> that, I'll take anything.
>
> I was watching it while eating a meatlovers pizza, and I'm thinking hang
> on, the stuff going into my mouth looks exactly the same as the stuff
> getting sprayed around on the screen. Which, combined with 5.1 surround
> sound, made for the perfect action movie experience, I can say.

I see you're down with the sickness. :)

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

Hong Ooi wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:19:11 GMT, Julie d'Aubigny
> <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Hong Ooi wrote:
> >>
> >> I was watching it while eating a meatlovers pizza, and I'm
thinking hang
> >> on, the stuff going into my mouth looks exactly the same as the
stuff
> >> getting sprayed around on the screen. Which, combined with 5.1
surround
> >> sound, made for the perfect action movie experience, I can say.
> >
> >I see you're down with the sickness. :)

You guys will probably like the director's latest effort, if the Geek
Reviews are any indication:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18912

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18915

> The scene that sums up the whole movie's attitude is where the hero
> (already wearing the black trenchcoat) puts on the zombie assassin's
> sunglasses, and the girl is like "No".

My favorite was the Yakusa goons realizing that the place they've
buried all their victims was "The Forest of Resurrection"! (and, no,
it's NOT "just a name"!!)

> Too many good scenes! Too many good scenes!

And the first truly unexpected ending in a while...

Dex

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:19:11 GMT, Julie d'Aubigny
<kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hong Ooi wrote:
>>
>> I was watching it while eating a meatlovers pizza, and I'm thinking hang
>> on, the stuff going into my mouth looks exactly the same as the stuff
>> getting sprayed around on the screen. Which, combined with 5.1 surround
>> sound, made for the perfect action movie experience, I can say.
>
>I see you're down with the sickness. :)

The scene that sums up the whole movie's attitude is where the hero
(already wearing the black trenchcoat) puts on the zombie assassin's
sunglasses, and the girl is like "No".

Too many good scenes! Too many good scenes!

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ | -- RR
Sydney, Australia |

Speaking of Versus, I just got thru watching another movie from the
same director, Azumi.

Azumi is about a ninja master who trains a team of teenaged assassins
from childhood to whack ambitious nobles who might start more
devastating wars. One of the nobles doesn't take attempts on his life
well, and sends everything from bounty hunters, samurai armies,
deranged imprisoned serial killers, and an entire mercenary village (!)
after them...Can Azumi, the sole girl among them, stay alive long
enough to finally find her place in a hostile world?

This movie isn't quite as over-the-top as Versus; there's a lot more
emphasis on character and plot, and the pacing is more like an actual
Samurai movie. Still, there's plenty of action and we see our heroes
mow down entire armies at a time! Lots of great stunt fodder, too.

As far as Exalted goes, it's interesting how much this movie fits: The
corrupt lords and samurai easily could be Dragon-Blooded, the old
master training the kids on the mountain is a Gold faction Sidereal,
the monkey-like ninja fits a Lunar assassin to a T, and it's not even a
stretch to see the white-dressed, effeminate psycho-killer (always
holding a sword and a rose!) as an Abyssal...The kids, of course, are
Solars, esp. the title character...
If you come across it, check this one out!

Dex

Dex,

Based on reading this review, I ran off to Netflix and put it at the
top of my queue. I couldn't resist.

Sure enough, it was incredibly over the top, and opened right up for
all sorts of awesome sequel goodness. It was so wrong, and chock full
of the sorts of things that make my inner 14 year old cry out in joy.

I seriously need to run a one shot game of *something* based on this.
I'm thinking Adventure! suits my needs without buying another book.

~EEE~

Hong Ooi wrote:
> [...]

> > - Yakuzae wearing black trenchcoats with guns and katanae, riding a
> Harley
> > - A Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle, wielded from the hip (!)
> >
> > All they needed were a few pirates and dinosaurs to round it out, but
> not
> > to worry, I'm sure they'll be in the sequel. Heck, from the epilogue,
> it's
> > already going to feature a katana with a red dot targeting system.
> After
> > that, I'll take anything.
> >
> > I was watching it while eating a meatlovers pizza, and I'm thinking
> hang
> > on, the stuff going into my mouth looks exactly the same as the stuff
> > getting sprayed around on the screen. Which, combined with 5.1
> surround
> > sound, made for the perfect action movie experience, I can say.

Regarding the pizza meat*, who knows, that may be what they used. ;)
In the slasher flick I was in, the director on infrequent occasion would
use McDonalds' Filet O'Fish, carefully arranged, along with fake blood
for a really convincing wound! He was a master at fast food
manipulation when he had to be.

mdf

*I just discovered a new pizza parlor in the area that has kimchi as a
topping option.

--
remove 'no junk' to reply