Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

First Low-to-Mid Range Build for BF3

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 22, 2012 2:40:55 PM

I have built intel based servers in the past but this is my first gaming build. Any advisement appreciated.
The first build is I5-2500k/GTX 560 TI based while the second is FX-6300/GTX 660 TI. What platform would
you game on?

Thanks in advance.


Intel Based
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech LS1 Wired Laser Mouse ($17.95 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $881.86
------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD based
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($34.21 @ Amazon)
Total: $857.12
------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 22, 2012 2:59:42 PM

Go with Ivy Bridge CPU in first one. And why are you putting 'k' processor on mobo that doesn't support overclock?
As for RAM 8GB is max you need for gaming.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 3:08:09 PM

butremor said:
Go with Ivy Bridge CPU in first one. And why are you putting 'k' processor on mobo that doesn't support overclock?
As for RAM 8GB is max you need for gaming.


Ahh, thanks for pointing out the K CPU vs the mobo. I don't think I will be overclocking. The K vs non-K processor seem to be the same price. I figured that if I ever upgraded the CPU the used I5-K might be worth a bit more.

Thanks...
Score
0
Related resources
November 22, 2012 3:10:12 PM

MrGromit said:
I have built intel based servers in the past but this is my first gaming build. Any advisement appreciated.
The first build is I5-2500k/GTX 560 TI based while the second is FX-6300/GTX 660 TI. What platform would
you game on?

Thanks in advance.


Intel Based
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech LS1 Wired Laser Mouse ($17.95 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $881.86
------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD based
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($34.21 @ Amazon)
Total: $857.12
------------------------------------------------------------------------




Get the first, drop down to 8gb ram if you are going to micro center I believe they have a deal where they give you off $50 when purchasing mobo + processor at the same time, get a z77 motherboard there.

Get a 7850 2gb.

PROFIT!
Score
0
November 22, 2012 3:16:25 PM

maxalge said:
Get the first, drop down to 8gb ram if you are going to micro center I believe they have a deal where they give you off $50 when purchasing mobo + processor at the same time, get a z77 motherboard there.

Get a 7850 2gb.

PROFIT!


Excellent tips, thanks.

Question, why the Radion board. I've read the the Nvidia based stuff tends to work better with BF3. There will probably be some COD games played on the box as well.

Thanks.....
Score
0
Anonymous
November 22, 2012 3:45:22 PM

MrGromit said:



Intel Based
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Amazon)
ASRock Z75 Pro3 $79.99
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
VGA 02G-P4-2660-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB $219.99 ( price in cart)
$209.99 after $10.00 rebate card
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech LS1 Wired Laser Mouse ($17.95 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $881.86 $867.86


add:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $29.99
$24.99 after $5.00 rebate card

TOTAL: $892.85


i know that added to the total but it gives you a motherboard and heatsink to overclock and a graphics card that is phenomenally better than the 560ti.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 4:14:12 PM

Anonymous said:
add:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO $29.99
$24.99 after $5.00 rebate card

TOTAL: $892.85


i know that added to the total but it gives you a motherboard and heatsink to overclock and a graphics card that is phenomenally better than the 560ti.


Thanks!! I have a couple of revised builds based on advisement:



Intel Based w/Radion
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($212.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech LS1 Wired Laser Mouse ($17.95 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $887.39
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Intel Based with w/Nvidia
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($229.61 @ Compuvest)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech LS1 Wired Laser Mouse ($17.95 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $904.45
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: EVGA 02G-P4-2660-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB is $219 @ Newegg.
Score
0

Best solution

November 22, 2012 5:45:20 PM

And still that CPU is sandy bridge, get ivy bridge (: it's i5-3xxx
Anyways, here's build for non overclock: you save a bunch on cpu, mobo, cooler.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($231.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($25.28 @ CompUSA)
Total: $758.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 14:45 EST-0500)

Share
November 22, 2012 5:55:02 PM

butremor said:
And still that CPU is sandy bridge, get ivy bridge (: it's i5-3xxx
Anyways, here's build for non overclock: you save a bunch on cpu, mobo, cooler.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($231.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($25.28 @ CompUSA)
Total: $758.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 14:45 EST-0500)



Thanks man .. you have been a huge help!
Score
0
November 22, 2012 5:55:51 PM

Best answer selected by MrGromit.
Score
0
Anonymous
November 22, 2012 6:01:18 PM

butremor said:
And still that CPU is sandy bridge, get ivy bridge (: it's i5-3xxx
Anyways, here's build for non overclock: you save a bunch on cpu, mobo, cooler.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($231.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($25.28 @ CompUSA)
Total: $758.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 14:45 EST-0500)


nice job on those prices.

@OP please do not settle for a 7850 with any i5; games that are more dependent on the cpu than others still require a very good for best performance; a good cpu never compensates for an average gpu. i highly recommend looking at a gtx660 or hd7870 at least; with a bit of a lean towards the 7870 with the wider memory bus.

edit: nevermind just saw BA, good choice!
Score
0
!