DVD-Rom recomendations - please read

G

Ok, gateway has sent me two DVD-ROMs by accident, and I do not know which one to keep, I have:
1. Panasonic (Matshita) SR 8586-C
2. Pioneer 115-GA (GA stands for gateway)

They are both 16x, but pioneer is only 40x CD-ROm, while Pansonic's is 48x. Will this be a big difference for anything at all? Also the Pioneer can not read DVD-RAM but i dont need that right now. Do most dvd burner's play DVD-RAM even if they cant burn them?

The pioneer does have some vibration stablization thing, and I have already made it region free, but I can do the same ot the panasonic. THe pioneer doesnt have digital audio out, but i never used that (will I? for what?). Plus the pioneer is a little noisier.

Anybody have an opinion on which to keep? IS the quality equal on both?

Thanks for the responses.

G

pop in a few different DVD movies and see which looks best.

i personally have a pioneer 16x (not a gateway one though) and it's fine and dandy. i have always liked panasonic products, but they are falling behind. in fact, even the toshiba's are now better than panasonic (actually, toshiba is kicking a lot of ass lately).

so i'd say stick with the pioneer, but first check out movies on each.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know it doesn't necesarily relate to the topic, but I just want to praise the Liteon DVD drive I just got. Runs very fast, plays DVDs flawlessly, and is easy to set up and work with. Only complaint I have is that the drive seems a bit loud, but that also might be because I have all my case sides off.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
What is that ?

pioneer... no
yamaha.... no
sony...... no
toshiba... no
philips... no
creative.. no
panasonic. no

but what is it ?

it's a Liteon DVD :smile:

but what are them specs ?

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
not the model number itself

i would like just know the specs of this "beautiful" DVD drive

ok, buy nothing.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh...
well too bad i dont know them then...because it would be nice, so that i would be able to know if it is actually good or not compared to what i have encountered.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
the message i have posted before clearly is:

1) i don't know this Brand, this is not a COMMON BRAND everyone knows so

2) what are this Brand, the Model Number & the Specs of this Drive

it is just that i would like to ask

ok, buy nothing.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, in answering your question, you are lucky that you were sent two good drives. Both Pioneer and Panasonic make good drives. I've heard really good things about every Pioneer DVD since their 6x drive about 2 years ago. But I've also had a Matshita CDR drive forever now and have never had any problems with it. I would keep the Pioneer becuase they specialize more on enterainment drives, but no matter which one you keep, you'll end up with a good DVD drive.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...