Sign in with
Your question

Computer screen goes blank and crashes.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 27, 2012 10:36:03 PM

For the past couple of months i've had the problem of my computer screen randomly going blank. It's not the monitor because all sounds stop too (it's happened while I was listening to music). I thought it was my graphics card (GTX 550TI) because a couple of times when it happened Nvidia said the display driver stopped working and was recovered.

I tried updating the drivers and that didn't help so I got a new graphics card (Radeon HD 7770) but my system is still crashing. I even re installed Windows 7 completely to start over fresh but the crashes still happen. I've taken a look inside my PC multiple times and nothing is loose/broken. I have no idea what's causing this and it's really frustrating to have my PC crash randomly. The only error message i've gotten is from the Nvidia control panel so that's why I assumed the graphics card was responsible. However, it clearly isn't.

How can I test all my parts to find the problem? There has to be a solution and this crashes are driving me insane! :fou: 
September 27, 2012 11:48:32 PM

What kind of power supply do you have?

Also you might try running memtest86.

Are any of your parts overclocked?
If so, set back to stock and retest.

Also if you haven't already, try reinstalling your graphics driver with a clean installation (use driver sweeper first to remove all of the old video card drivers).
m
l
September 28, 2012 12:26:42 AM

mlcaouette said:
What kind of power supply do you have?

Also you might try running memtest86.

Are any of your parts overclocked?
If so, set back to stock and retest.

Also if you haven't already, try reinstalling your graphics driver with a clean installation (use driver sweeper first to remove all of the old video card drivers).

I have an 800w PSU.

No parts are overclocked and I already tried a clean installation of windows 7 but the problem remains and i'll give memtest a try.
m
l
Related resources
a c 85 U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 1:04:30 AM

did you test your hdd for bad sector with the drive maker tool
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 1:05:52 AM

Which brand of 800W do you have?
m
l
September 28, 2012 1:15:47 AM

Deemo13 said:
Which brand of 800W do you have?

I made a mistake. My PSU is 700W. Corsair - Gaming Series 700-Watt ATX Power Supply.

Also, I tried checking my hd a few days ago. No problems.
m
l
September 28, 2012 1:16:48 AM

+1 to the brand/model as that's what i was asking for not the wattage. We need the 12volt rail information...

Ignore this post I didn't see you updated the thread.
m
l
September 28, 2012 1:21:06 AM

You can also try your computer with just one stick of ram at a time and switching slots too.
m
l
September 28, 2012 3:27:55 AM

Tried whocrashed and it found no crash dumps. Even restarting right after it crashed.
I opened up my machine again and found part of the tab that broke off months ago(long before the crashes started)

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/QtrBK.jpg (red outlined part is what broke off)

And this: http://i.imgur.com/Bd6Ur.jpg (Sorry for bad lighting) was still behind where the tab was. I assumed the whole tab broke off in one piece but I guess I was wrong. I took it out but i'm not sure if that was the problem. Is it possible that was the problem? Maybe that little piece kept the card from going in all the way?
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
September 29, 2012 12:59:05 AM

tihs is the part that hold the card in place in the slot check if there is nothing left from this clip that will not make the graphic card seat correctly in the pci-e slot that could cause the crash see if you could rma the motherboard for that or you will have to get a new board to avoid crash
m
l
!