Driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered

Ingo Meyrt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hi all, I've been getting this message a lot lately, even after I sent my card off for repair, because of this problem. ONLY while playing games, I will get either a black or white screen or a screen full of vertical lines of a random color, and almost every time I have to do a hard reset because it never recovers.

I called Gigabyte and have scheduled for another RMA, but after investigating the problem further, I'm worried it could be something else. I've read that this error can be caused by faulty PSUs and the Video card not getting enough power, or possibly the ram. (I will post Memtest details later) I have only had this PSU for about a month over a year, it is a 750W Zephyr PSU, but I'm still iffy if that's the problem.

I have a 5450 that I use as a backup, although it uses no PCI-E plug-ins) I can use this card and play games without ever getting the error. Would this be a possible reassurance that it's my card causing the problem or could it be ruled out since it uses less power than my HD 5850.

Other specs:
Motherboard: Asrock Extreme 5850
Ram: Corsair 4GB
CPU: Phenom II X4 Black Edition

Ingo Meyrt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

They sent that same card back yes, but said they found a broken resistor on it, previously before I sent it off it would not work at all. I assume that the line problem was why it died. the card is near 2 years old after all.

Ingo Meyrt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Unfortunately I don't have another power supply. I'm guessing at this point it's either my PSU or my Graphics card.

I could possibly get my hands on another PSU, but it would only be a 300W one. My card requires a minimum of 500. Would a 300 be okay if its only powering the card?

Ingo Meyrt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

By adapter cables do you mean the PCI-E plug-ins? Also thank you for your contribution in this thread, I appreciate it.

drums101

Distinguished

yea that is exactly what I meant...you man need adapters that change molex to pcie power cables bc a 300watt psu prolly does not have any pcie cables..I would give this a shot before you replace your ram....why spend money unless you absolutely have to

Ingo Meyrt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Alright, Ill give it a shot and report back when I've tested it tomorrow

Ingo Meyrt

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Unfortunately the PSU didnt have PCI-E plug ins and I don't have money for adapters so that idea was a no-go. Although, yesterday I played 3 different games for about 2 hours each with no crash at all. Im beginning to wonder if the problem fixed itself or if I did something. Maybe it was just a stroke of luck.