[Exalted] I figured out what comets are.

I figured out what comets are in Exalted.

The night sky is a display panel for fate, right? Comets are error
messages. That's why they usually portend disasters, cataclysms, and
other big-time ill fortune.
--
Richard Clayton
Also a Geek

"I KNOW the difference between right and wrong. I just don't care." --
Black Mage

Richard Clayton wrote:
> I figured out what comets are in Exalted.
>
> The night sky is a display panel for fate, right? Comets are
error
> messages. That's why they usually portend disasters, cataclysms, and
> other big-time ill fortune.
> --
My immediate thought was that they were the "smelted" gods the
Sidereals make Starmetal of, but those are falling stars/meteorites...I
like your explanation, except that I think it implies that natural
disasters (lit. "bad/missing star") are somehow aberrations of the
natural order. In Exalted world, these are all pretty much right on
schedule, except where High-Essence beings or those "outside of Fate"
cause them...Perhaps comets are the universe's reaction to such
meddling, and are therefore an "early warning system" of
Reality-Hacking?

Dex

Richard Clayton wrote:

> I figured out what comets are in Exalted.

> The night sky is a display panel for fate, right? Comets are error
> messages. That's why they usually portend disasters, cataclysms, and
> other big-time ill fortune.

I will simply mention that this is really damn cool.
--
Stephenls
Geek

handofomega@hotmail.com wrote:
> Richard Clayton wrote:
>
>>I figured out what comets are in Exalted.
>>
>> The night sky is a display panel for fate, right? Comets are
>
> error
>
>>messages. That's why they usually portend disasters, cataclysms, and
>>other big-time ill fortune.
>>--
>
> My immediate thought was that they were the "smelted" gods the
> Sidereals make Starmetal of, but those are falling stars/meteorites...I
> like your explanation, except that I think it implies that natural
> disasters (lit. "bad/missing star") are somehow aberrations of the
> natural order. In Exalted world, these are all pretty much right on
> schedule, except where High-Essence beings or those "outside of Fate"
> cause them...Perhaps comets are the universe's reaction to such
> meddling, and are therefore an "early warning system" of
> Reality-Hacking?

In Exalted, catastrophes come in two kinds: Planned by Fate and Not
Planned by Fate. Sure, the occasional volcano in the southwest might
erupt and bury a whole kingdom in molten stone, but Heaven isn't
particularly worried as long as it happens according to the Bureau of
Destiny's plans. On the other hand, if a volcano erupts and /nobody in
Heaven saw it coming/, something is seriously wrong, and everybody's
going to be scurrying over themselves trying to figure out what's going
on and (more importantly) who is to blame-- because you know somebody's
going to be audited and smelted down into a box of starmetal paper clips
over it.

That's what comets are: It's the celestial equivalent of an ominous
blinking red light on equipment you don't understand, telling you
something's about to go wrong, but you don't know what. The Primordials
doubtless knew how to "read" comets-- they designed the system, after
all. But the gods kinda voided the warranty when they cast the
manufacturers out of Creation.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Richard Clayton

"The world needs more Starscream." -- Stephenls

Stephenls wrote:
> Richard Clayton wrote:
>
>> I figured out what comets are in Exalted.
>

>> The night sky is a display panel for fate, right? Comets are error
>> messages. That's why they usually portend disasters, cataclysms, and
>> other big-time ill fortune.
>

> I will simply mention that this is really damn cool.

Thank you.