Computer shuts off after a couple seconds of gameplay

Hardrock131

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I just upgraded to a GTX 670 today, but when I try to play a game, my computer just restarts after a couple seconds. It happens faster for more demanding games, such as Skyrim, or Max Payne 3. It worked for about 2 minutes in Half Life 2: Episode 2, before restarting. I have a 600w PSU which is definitely enough for this card. This problem has happened in the past with my old card (a Radeon hd 6870), but it was much more random and didn't happen nearly as often, and eventually just worked fine. This is bugging the heck out of me and I would really appreciate anyone who can help!

drums101

Distinguished
the fact that it has happened in the past tells me that it is def some other component in the system...my guess would be the PSU...what brand PSU are your running....is it coolermaster? I have heard bad things about them where they dont deliver near the power they say they do

Hardrock131

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

No it is a Diablotek PSU

drums101

Distinguished
oh lol thats even worse....they are terrible PSU's I have had one burst into flames on me even...low quality junk......can you try and hook up a second psu to just power the card up and see if that solves your issue? if it does then you know the psu wasnt able to provide enough power

Hardrock131

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

Oh wow lol. I think my friend might have an extra PSU so I could ask him if I can borrow it to test this out. If it turns out it is the PSU, what company would you recommend that I buy from? I don't want to get another crappy one lol

Diablotek makes some of the worst power supplies on the market (yet there are much much worse). My friend used one, and it started smoking on him and he had to replace it.

Only buy power supplies from reputable brands. It pays off in the end.

Hardrock131

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

Thanks guys, If I need to I will try to buy from these companies