Sign in with
Your question

NAS PC Advice

November 22, 2012 6:12:32 PM

With Black Friday deals floating around, and my wife's growing appetite for downloaded movies and TV shows, I'm looking at building a PC to essentially serve as a NAS. It may end up being used like a HTPC that streams occasionally if I decide to put in the family room and hook it into the TV. Or might sit upstairs and just stream to the TVs. But the real goal will be to have gobs of storage, with redundancy. I'll probably start ripping other movies onto there as well if I had the space. I'm looking to try and keep power consumption down since it will be always on. I don't PC game anymore, so I'm not worried about that. I just look at the price of a 4-drive NAS from Synology and think I could spend a bit more and have a legit PC that does the same thing and more.

So I've put this together so far. The drive situation may change depending on what deals are out there. Maybe 4 2TB would be better than 2 3TB. Memory is so cheap, that I just went with 16GB even though I am sure 8 would work fine. I'd like the Blu-Ray drive to possibly rip some BD content I don't have in a digital copy. It has been a while since I've been "in" to doing this type of thing, so any comments would be appreciated.

url=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/oPue]PCPartPicker part list[/url] / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($158.20 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($158.20 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $811.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-22 15:09 EST-0500)

More about : nas advice

!