Need help - I am an idiot

rustedmobo

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Hello all. Built myself a brand new gaming rig for around 1300. Had problems with HD7870 that I bought, so after Weeks of HIS technical support troubleshooting, they had me RMA the card to the only 3rd party office they have in US, which is in CA (I am in PA) -that was a month and a half without a video card...

So my system naturally switched to the onboard adapter Intel HD Graphics. When the replacement came back, I popped it back in, and the system was right away telling me that the card I have installed doesn't agree with the drivers on the system. I reinstalled Catalyst with latest driver, but some games acted strange - they played fine mostly, but only recognized my Intel HD on board in the settings. Here comes the reason I called myself an idiot... I went into Device Manager and disabled the onboard adapter, thinking it would resolve the conflict. My screen went dark and that was that... What can I do? It seems I didn't install the replacement card properly in the first place, but now I can't do anything.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
might be a silly question

but have you actually connected the monitor cable to the graphics card connector and not the onboard graphics connector

rustedmobo

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
No image, the video adapter is disabled, not sure why the system is not recognizing the new card, but is obviously utilizing it. Fill specs don't really master in this case: windows 7, decent motherboard, load of memory (typing this on my phone...). I am thinking hard rest from the motherboard?

Vatafaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

That isn't silly at all, that was the question that bumped in my mind too.

rustedmobo

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I am glad I called myself an idiot in the name of the post - that is it!!! I checked and triple checked everything, but never even thought about the cable. Going to test out on the newly acquired Skyrim.

I did run into another problem through this experience - I can't seem to access my BIOS. My PC seems to boot up in under 5 seconds and continuously pressing F2 or Delete as per my mobo manual, causes A6 on Dr. Debug...

Thank you guys very much, I am sure this is not the last time I embarrass myself on here...