DVD Rom reccomendations?

darrenjg_2000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Hi,

I'm looking for a DVDRom drive, my main criteria is it has to be either region free or easily unlockable, and also preferably quite quiet.

Does anyone have any reccomendations? Or can point me in the direction of sites which might help?

Thanks,

Darren

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
<font color=red>The exhilarating clarity and color of DVD movies can be enjoyed with PC-DVD Encore 12X with Dxr3 technology.

High-resolution, DVD imagery, cinema-like Dolby® Digital (AC-3®) or DTS® multi-channel surround audio* and CD access makes the PC-DVD Encore 12X the ultimate player for DVD movies on your PC or TV.

Stunning DVD video is achieved with the Dxr3 DVD decoder board which utilizes advanced techniques to process color video at high resolutions and generate exceptional image quality. To enhance the movie experience, create room-shaking, surround audio by connecting the Dxr3 decoder to a receiver or the DeskTop Theater™ DTT2500 Digital speaker system for 5.1-speaker stereo playback.* Or, connect the Dxr3 to your Sound Blaster® audio card for great stereo sound.

The Creative PC-DVD 12X drives reads DVDs at up to 12X speeds** and CDs at up to 40X speeds. Support for popular disk types such as CD-R, CD-RW, and CD audio provide seamless access to your existing data and audio collections.

The PC-DVD Encore 12X with Dxr3 is your ticket to excellent home entertainment. <font color=red>

<A HREF="http://www.creaf.com/pcdvd/products/pcdvd12x/" target="_new">http://www.creaf.com/pcdvd/products/pcdvd12x/</A>

darrenjg_2000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001
Thanks for replying.

I checked out the site you reccomended. So does the RCP1 utility simply turn the region encoding on and off without the need for flashing the firmware again? If so then the LiteOn drive sounds like a good path to go...

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
really I have never run into a region problem in my life. DVD killer at www.elby.org should handle any region protection crap.

So does the RCP1 utility simply turn the region encoding on and off without the need for flashing the firmware again?
kinda. RCP1 is software based so you'd never have to flash the firmware to get rid of rcp1. and even though rcp2 is hardware based, you are just patching the firmware not flashing it, and DVD region killer makes it so you don't even have to patch firmware.

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I've got a Liteon DVD. I'm perfectly happy with it. Haven't hap any problems at all, and it isn't expensive.

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

G

Lite-On's 16X DVD-ROM seems to be the one to get nowdays. According to Storagereview.com it "distances itself from competitors by upping CD transfers to 48X, providing unprecedented 48X CAV audio extraction (the fastest ever recorded by a single-beam CAV reader), and providing cool, quiet operation - especially during movie playback. All this at prices about equal to the competition!"