USB Bridge/Data Transfer Buyer Question

Manolo Xl

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I have a laptop running XP and a desktop running W7. The laptops ethernet port is down so I have decided to spend my last on a USB Bridge Cable. I cant seem to find one that confirms ICS as well as works both OS's. I'm afraid that I will buy one and the drivers/software will control file transfers and the computers wont show each other under Network Connections. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Solution

Maybe I'm missing something here but this doesn't appear to be a serious problem.

Get a USB to Ethernet adapter for the laptop. Connect Cat5E or your favorite network cable from the USB/Ethernet adapter of the laptop and plug the other end into the Win7 machine.

I'm thinking of something like the one you can see
HERE.
Feeback is good, apparently needs no added driver.

If that is not within your budget, there are more similar devices HERE.

EDIT: About the computers not seeing/communicating with each other;

I addressed this problem in a post made in the XP forum (of all places) and you can see it

Maybe I'm missing something here but this doesn't appear to be a serious problem.

Get a USB to Ethernet adapter for the laptop. Connect Cat5E or your favorite network cable from the USB/Ethernet adapter of the laptop and plug the other end into the Win7 machine.

I'm thinking of something like the one you can see
HERE.
Feeback is good, apparently needs no added driver.

If that is not within your budget, there are more similar devices HERE.

EDIT: About the computers not seeing/communicating with each other;

I addressed this problem in a post made in the XP forum (of all places) and you can see it

HERE.

My reply concerned Windows XP. Things may be a bit different in Windows 7, but the computers still need a communications protocol to interact with each other.

Solution

Manolo Xl

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I'm going to call some local stores in the morning to see if maybe they have something like this around here. If not, I'll order the first one you linked. Thanks a lot!

Wal-Mart might have one. Thanks for the vote and I do hope it all works great for you.