Suddenly my laptop doesn\'t connect to my wireless network.

caroannford

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
The system has been the same for 2 years: 2 desktops connected to the router, and wireless set up. My phone still connects to my wireless network, and my laptop can detect and connect to OTHER wireless networks - but says mine is out of range (it is not!). Everything has worked fine for 2 years and I haven\'t configured or changed ANYTHING. Help!

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Do you have windows 7 installed? I don't know why this is happening, but I have had similar problems ever since I upgraded to Win 7. I never had this problem with XP on the same three systems. After I upgraded all three of my desktops to Win7 it started to happen randomly on all three systems at different intervals. I have a old Linksys Wireless G router and several computers connected to it. For no reason my adapters on different will suddenly disconnect. When I try to reconnect, it will show that there are no wireless networks in range, even if the computer is 3 feet from the router and other computers are connecting to it with no problem. The only way I have found to remedy this problem is to physically unplug the adapter and plug it back in. Disabling or uninstalling and reinstalling the driver while the adapter is still plug in does not remedy the problem, only physically unplugging it does. This of course is not possible with a laptop that has an internal wifi card. I guess maybe unplugging it and pulling the battery out might work.

Don't if it will work for you, but it might.

caroannford

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Thank you.
But my laptop has an internal wifi card. Also it can connect to /"see" OTHER wifi networks in range - but not mine (not much use as I don't have their passwords)! This is the weird thing.....

Power your router down and leave it off for about ten minutes then see if your laptop can "see" the network. If it cannot, you may need to reconfigure the internal wireless adapter to the same channel the router is broadcasting on. Post back if you need to know how to do that.

caroannford

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I have powered the router down. No difference. But I don't know how to reconfigure the internal wireless adapter to the router channel. However note that until last week the laptop USED to be able to see my router. Mystery of mysteries....