Battery Life for Rebel XT

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 24, 2005 8:54:06 PM

I have recently purchased a XT with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. I can take
about 1GB of JPEG on my SanDisk before the low battery lights come on?
Is this normal? Also, I realize with the low battery, I am able to shoot
but cannot perform proper metering( I press the shutter, it would not
beep, but would shoot instead). Sometime, turning the camera on and off
solve the problem. It's there a problem with my shutter release or os
this just normal if the battery is running low?

Thanks
CJ

More about : battery life rebel

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:54:07 PM

> I have recently purchased a XT with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. I can take
> about 1GB of JPEG on my SanDisk before the low battery lights come on?

The XT has a much lower-capacity battery than the original Digital Rebel,
which is supposed to be offset by the lower power consumption of the Digic
II chip as opposed to the Digic chip. However, the power draw of the flash
and lenses has remained constant, meaning if you are using the flash or a
high-draw lens, you will see significantly shorter battery life than with
the original Rebel.

I don't have super-high-draw lenses, and use an external flash, so I get
considerably more than that before my battery starts getting low. In fact,
I haven't actually run out the battery yet, but I've had it show "half way"
after (if I recall correctly) about 300-600 shots.

steve
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:54:07 PM

"Joe Cole" <cphua@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased a XT with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. I can take about
>1GB of JPEG on my SanDisk before the low battery lights come on? Is this
>normal? Also, I realize with the low battery, I am able to shoot but cannot
>perform proper metering( I press the shutter, it would not beep, but would
>shoot instead). Sometime, turning the camera on and off solve the problem.
>It's there a problem with my shutter release or os this just normal if the
>battery is running low?

One more thing. It takes a while for most batteries to reach full
potential. Cycle the battery about three or four times before you pass
judgement on it.

> Thanks
> CJ
March 24, 2005 10:28:13 PM

"Joe Cole" <cphua@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased a XT with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. I can take about
>1GB of JPEG on my SanDisk before the low battery lights come on? Is this
>normal? Also, I realize with the low battery, I am able to shoot but cannot
>perform proper metering( I press the shutter, it would not beep, but would
>shoot instead). Sometime, turning the camera on and off solve the problem.
>It's there a problem with my shutter release or os this just normal if the
>battery is running low?

I have the original Rebel and battery life, or the lack there of, is exactly
why I went out and bought the battery grip.

I just took 479 (2.63 gigs) RAW shots over 3 days and didn't have to charge
the batteries until the end of the second day and since I always have a
spare battery charged in reserve I just remove one of the low ones and
popped in the charged one and kept shooting. Both lenses used were Image
Stabilizer lenses (which draws power from the batteries.)

I believe the XT is suppose to get better battery life then my drebel but I
think I'd still suggest the grip. Besides after holding the XT I think its
size almost makes the grip a necessity. IMO it's toooo small.

--

Rob
Anonymous

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote

> From: "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net>
> | One more thing. It takes a while for most batteries to reach full
> | potential. Cycle the battery about three or four times before you pass
> | judgement on it.

> What do you mean by that Sheldon ?

Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries must be discharged and recharged a number
of times before they reach their full capacity. Also, unlike NIMH and NiCad
batteries, they give better performance if they are not fully discharged
between recharges.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:04:23 PM

jfitz wrote:

> Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries must be discharged and recharged a
> number of times before they reach their full capacity. Also, unlike
> NIMH and NiCad batteries, they give better performance if they are
> not fully discharged between recharges.

Does that mean that if I don't use it, it has more unused energy
available, only as long as I don't use it?

;-)

March 26, 2005 12:57:52 AM

news:D 225di$6a9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> jfitz wrote:
>> Lithium-ion ... unlike NIMH and NiCad batteries, they give better
>> performance if they are not fully discharged between recharges.
>
> Does that mean that if I don't use it, it has more unused energy
> available, only as long as I don't use it?
> ;)

Precisely. Lithium-ion batteries behave much like the perpetual motion
machine I have invented. My invention offers the potential for perpetual
motion as long as it is not activated. ;)  Solicitation is not permitted on
this forum or I would provide you with the web link so you can purchase this
remarkable product.

On a more serious note, I will clarify my statement. For longest service
life, defined as number of equivalent image captures before end of service
life, a Lithium-ion battery offers more total captures if it is not fully
discharged before recharge. NIMH and NiCad batteries offer more total image
captures if they are fully depleted, but not to the point of reversal,
before recharge.

That is the published position of many of those who manufacture these
devices. Confirmation of this is only a click away on Google. My personal
observation, based on using rechargeable batteries since the very early
sixties, is that it is mostly BS.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 1:12:36 AM

Joe Cole <cphua@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<42434457$0$1987$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com>...
> I have recently purchased a XT with a 17-85mm IS USM lens. I can take
> about 1GB of JPEG on my SanDisk before the low battery lights come on?
> Is this normal? Also, I realize with the low battery, I am able to shoot
> but cannot perform proper metering( I press the shutter, it would not
> beep, but would shoot instead). Sometime, turning the camera on and off
> solve the problem. It's there a problem with my shutter release or os
> this just normal if the battery is running low?

Using mine with the 28-135 IS USM lens yesterday I managed to shoot
459 high res jpegs without even coming off 'full' on the indicator -
all in the space of around 30 minutes. IS was turned off, most of the
shots were in continuous bursts so I guess that the LCD is not used
very much (perhaps 1 in 14 or so photos), and none with flash.

I've only had the kit a couple of days, so I guess time will tell.
I've switched across from a Sony DSC-V1 which had just about the worst
battery life known to man!

--
David
Anonymous

From: "jfitz" <jfitz@bigfoot.com>

| Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries must be discharged and recharged a number
| of times before they reach their full capacity. Also, unlike NIMH and NiCad
| batteries, they give better performance if they are not fully discharged
| between recharges.

OK -- Thanx !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"jfitz" <jfitz@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 225di$6a9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
>> jfitz wrote:
>>> Lithium-ion ... unlike NIMH and NiCad batteries, they give better
>>> performance if they are not fully discharged between recharges.

The biggest problem I've noticed with NiCads is that if you leave them
discharged for too long they simply won't hold a charge again. I use NiCads
in my underwater camera, which only gets used once a year. I've had to bin
several sets of NiCads because, although the "fully charged" lamp lights,
the batteriesdischarge completely after a few shots.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 11:45:03 AM

Sheldon wrote:

> I just know that most rechargeable batteries will not give you their maximum
> time until you have used them and recharged them a few times. It can be

My reply above was meant to be humor, nor commentary. I too have found
that my Li-400 battery lasts quite a long time after a few charges.

March 27, 2005 4:23:14 AM

I managed to shoot for a couple of hours (outdoor, no flash, no IS) without
the battery leaving full. I guess flash and IS really drain the battery.

!