AndroidDragon

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Someone is selling me a 670 for a really good price and still under warranty. He provided me with the serial number on request. How do I check this serial number to see if the warranty is still good? Its an MSI. I've been googling for a while but no luck. The warranty page is unhelpful in this regard.

Solution
The warranty is only of use if it can be transferred to you. XFX is the only brand name that I know of where the warranty can be transferred once to someone else. The original owner must notify XFX that he/she is transferring the warranty to you.

If the warranty does not transfer (I am almost positive MSI does not allow warranty transfers), the only way to for you to get the graphics card serviced under warranty is to have the original owner send it to MSI. Once serviced and returned to the original owner, you must rely on that person to contact you so that you can pick up the serviced graphics card from him/her.

The warranty is only of use if it can be transferred to you. XFX is the only brand name that I know of where the warranty can be transferred once to someone else. The original owner must notify XFX that he/she is transferring the warranty to you.

If the warranty does not transfer (I am almost positive MSI does not allow warranty transfers), the only way to for you to get the graphics card serviced under warranty is to have the original owner send it to MSI. Once serviced and returned to the original owner, you must rely on that person to contact you so that you can pick up the serviced graphics card from him/her.

Solution

drums101

Distinguished
Also when you do the craigslist deal make sure you bring a friend and you do it in a decent neighborhood if possible in a very public place that has cameras...like a gas station.....I dont know how many calls I have dealt with of people being robbed on a craigslist deal they attempted to do in the middle of the night in a poorly light street corner or something.......9/10 are just asking for it.

oh and to the guy above me very good point and I think EVGA has started warranty transfers too

AndroidDragon

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

Lol thanks for the tip. We're doing the transaction in a public place in the morning. But how do I test if it works? It's not like I can plug it into an outlet and it turns on.

I am asking if the warranty is good because I was wondering if he may have replaced it already. And I read msi bases returns on serial number not owner.

The real question is how cheap are you getting this graphics card for? Is it worth the risk for 10-15 dollars less? If it's still under warranty, but registered I have my doubts on you getting support.

If you get a proof of purchase from the original owner it might be fine.

I don't think anyone can guarantee the warranty will be honored. In general I would expect it to be serial number based IF he hasn't registered it. I would also get proof of purchase. BUT....

If you can't test it don't buy it. Its a newer card, little odd to ditch it so quick, and the warranty isn't going to cover user caused damage. If its working fine you probably won't need the warranty. Either way. Needs to be a REALLY good deal

EDIT: msi's warranty page seems to imply it is serial number based for 3 years

Http://us.msi.com/service/warranty/#

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

As for me man idk if i would trust it sure its a good deal but im kinda iffy on stuff like that even tho it may/maynot come with a warrenty

TRENDING THREADS