Older AMD GPU's no longer supported?

crazekid362

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hey guys, I've got a single 4890 in my system currently, with a second one on standby. The only game I'm playing and will be playing for the next few years is Planetside 2. I've got it overclocked quite heavily at 975/1150 MHZ on core and memory respectively. It rarely dips below 30 fps. Everything is smooth and extremely responsive. I do not feel like I am suffering in the least. If I didn't know better, I would assume it was a newer modern GPU and not a 3 year old one. Well, anyway, even though I'm getting good performance with a single card now doesn't mean there isn't room for more in the future. My question is: since AMD has dropped support for older GPU's, including the 4000 series, does this mean added crossfire support for newer games is not a possibility for my card? When AMD releases crossfire drivers for Planetside2, which they most assuredly will, probably soon, my 4890s will not benefit because they are not supported anymore?

System if interested:

i7920@4ghz
6gb DDR3@1600
1920x1080p
4890 with a second on standby
500gb HDD

Thanks.

Also, I should say I am playing PS2 with everything on high, all options such as AO, physics are on, but rendering is at 75 out of 100. It is beta right now but when release comes around the corner they will add an ultra graphics options. I will definitely not be able to play on all ultra settings with one 4890, so this is where a second one would come in handy.

AMD has NOT dropped support for the HD 2000,3000,4000. This is a myth.

They are just only releasing updates to fix application specific issues and critical errors, and they are not including them in every release, just when needed. Last I heard it was to be every 3 months. The reason being after this many years the drivers are as optimized as they are going to be for the hardware except for possible problems with new applications.

Http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-xp.aspx

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Can you find CCC 12.8 drivers for HD3000 series cards ? I'd love to have them.

Or do you mean AMD will release drivers for 4000, 3000, and 2000 series cards from time to time ? Every CCC release for 5000, 6000, and 7000 series cards will not inlude support for 2000, 3000, and 4000 series cards but some of them will ?

I had one Radeon HD5770 and the driver for this card has never been optimized since the time I bought it (November 2009). I always got TDR errors in every single driver release. How long more do I have to wait for optimized drivers ?

My words should not be taken such that I am blaming anybody or any company. This, I believe, is a price that we have to pay for something that we call progress. Progrss is not painless.