Upgrading from overheating GT220, need advice

JadeShadow

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
(I added my specs below) For the past few months when playing games like Age of Empires Online, World of Warcraft or Skyrim, my display has been shutting down (using a vga/dvi adapter...monitor doesn't have a HDMI input) and I have to restart my computer to get my display to work. After doing some research, I thought it might be my graphics card. I downloaded SpeedFan and here are the temperatures i'm getting when running a game.

GPU: 100C-105C
Temp1: 55C
Temp2: 54C
Temp3: 56C
HD0: 45C
Core O: 54C
Core 1: 54C
Core 2: 53C
Core 3: 55C

I thought "WoW...GPU is getting way to hot". So I opened my PC, and there was an awful lot of dust in the heatsink and in the fans. I carefully cleaned it with a spray duster and put it back together. I saw all my temps go down about 5C degrees except my GPU. It is still running 100C on average when I play games (gets down to 70C when browsing the web).

I love my PC and i'm not ready to buy a new one yet. My graphics card has always been lame for gaming anyway, and now I believe it is just dying. By the way, the fan is running on the GPU. All my fans are running.

My question is... should I get a new graphics card? And if I do, what should I get? I'd like a decent graphics card... not top of the line, but better than what I have. I worry that my PSU might be too weak... do I need to upgrade that as well?

I'd appreciate the advice!

Old Graphics card and System Specs:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: July 2009

BUDGET RANGE: USD $150-200

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - Star Wars The Old Republic, Skyrim, and future MMO's. Second Life - for working 40 hours a week at home (I do grant

research). Web Browsing - occasional videos and social games.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: nVidia GeForce GT 220 and Hewlett Packard Power Supply: - Input 100V-240VAC, aPFC +HV, and output power of 270-Watts

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: HP Pavilion Slimline s5150t CTO Desktop PC, 64-bit OS, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz, 6.00 GB RAM, Motherboard Manufacturer:

Pegatron IPIEL-LA3, Motherboard Model: Eureka3-GL8

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer nVidia but i'm open to suggestion too....

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1600x900)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I use my PC for 40 hours a week running programs like Second Life, 3dsMax and Photoshop. On top of that, I play graphically intense video games at least 20 hours a week. Point being, I've used my GPU at least 60 hours a week for the past 3 years.

JJ1217

Honorable
You want to purchase a card three years ago? Only thing I could recommend is a time machine. However, moving on. If your looking into $150-$200, a HD 7850 will suffice, very well. Its one of the best bang for the buck, and its capabilities for a small card is amazing. I'd recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

Also, bear in mind that it might not actually be the gpu itself causing heating issues. 70c at idle is ridiculous, chances are its your case flow. Check if your case is cluttered with cables, or maybe even a fan has stopped. Check for dust again. This card that I recommended has one of the best coolers, but for 70C idle, dunno if it can fix it.

JadeShadow

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I edited my post so you can see, I was mentioning my current GPU and system specs :p

I don't think case flow is the problem.... my card used to run lower temperatures. I have checked for dust multiple times as well. Also, the rest of my system runs normal temps, only my GPU is running high.

Is the consensus that people like Radeon more than nVidia? It seems like most people seem to suggest Radeon...

JadeShadow

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I appreciate your advice, and do like that card and power supply... but after more thought and research, i'm thinking my slimline pavilion case may be too narrow for the power supply and maybe even the card..

JJ1217

Honorable
Well Radeon is probably the best budget card. There is no way beating them in a price range. Radeon hold 100-200, they hold 200-300, and they hold 400-500, as now with driver updates the 7970>680. They are the coolest cards, and their power consumption is something to behold. Could you tell me which Slimline you have? There are many.

For the VGA, the MSI card is only 9.4 inches long, while your geforce is only 6.6 inches long. If you have an additional 2.8 inches of length, your case can fit it easily. For your psu however, its an ATX PSU, so if your case is ATX, it should fit fine.

Edit: However, if you would like, the Sapphire 7770 GHZ is only 8.4 inches, should the MSI one not fit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102967

He needs a low profile card.
The most powerful low-profile card you can get is a HD7750, which is MUCH more powerful than your old GT220. Since your system cannot be overclocked or use a stack of hard drives, your existing PSU should still be just barely enough to handle it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002
The next step down would be a HD6670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958 which is still a lot more powerful than your old card.

JadeShadow

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for all the suggestions... I think in this case I will build my own PC. I will move some of my components from my current build into a new case and just buy a new graphics card and PSU for the moment. (I'll buy a new processor, mobo etc as I see fit in the coming months).

Lots of research to do... :)