What happens when Nikon D70 rebate expires?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 24, 2005 11:33:09 PM

I've been waiting and waiting about getting my D70. I finally decided to
go pick one up tomorrow, but then I was wondering what will happen on
March 31, when the rebate expires. I'm wondering if they will just drop
the shelf price to 1099 (USD), which is what you get with the mail-in
rebate. If that is the case, I'd wait till April 1 and not have to worry
about the mail-in rebate. But I don't want to lose the discount. It's
not a big deal, mostly just a convenience thing, and I was just
wondering if anyone knew. If not I'll just go ahead and pick one up
tomorrow.

Thanks,
Randy.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:45:17 PM

In article <mu6dnZA-bNrL997fRVn_vQ@giganews.com>,
Randy W. Sims <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote:
>I've been waiting and waiting about getting my D70. I finally decided to
>go pick one up tomorrow, but then I was wondering what will happen on
>March 31, when the rebate expires. I'm wondering if they will just drop
>the shelf price to 1099 (USD), which is what you get with the mail-in
>rebate. If that is the case, I'd wait till April 1 and not have to worry
>about the mail-in rebate. But I don't want to lose the discount. It's
>not a big deal, mostly just a convenience thing, and I was just
>wondering if anyone knew. If not I'll just go ahead and pick one up
>tomorrow.

Perhaps what will happen is that the D50 will be released
(whatever it looks like), and the D70's price will remain fixed, as
speculation has the D50 targeted at the entry-level buyers.

But this is purely speculation on my part, with no firm
knowledge.

I would personally just go for it, as the longer you wait for
the perfect deal, the more photos you *don't* take.

Enjoy,
DoN.

March 25, 2005 5:09:38 PM

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message
| I've been waiting and waiting about getting my D70. I finally decided to
| go pick one up tomorrow, but then I was wondering what will happen on
| March 31, when the rebate expires. I'm wondering if they will just drop
| the shelf price to 1099 (USD), which is what you get with the mail-in
| rebate. If that is the case, I'd wait till April 1 and not have to worry
| about the mail-in rebate. But I don't want to lose the discount. It's
| not a big deal, mostly just a convenience thing, and I was just
| wondering if anyone knew. If not I'll just go ahead and pick one up
| tomorrow.
|
| Thanks,
| Randy.

The word inside the industry is that the D70's price will drop to $949 or
possibly lower after the rebate expires on April 1. Hope this helps you with
your decision.
March 25, 2005 6:38:40 PM

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message
> I've been waiting and waiting about getting my D70. I finally decided to
> go pick one up tomorrow, but then I was wondering what will happen on
> March 31, when the rebate expires. I'm wondering if they will just drop
> the shelf price to 1099 (USD), which is what you get with the mail-in
> rebate. If that is the case, I'd wait till April 1 and not have to worry
> about the mail-in rebate. But I don't want to lose the discount. It's
> not a big deal, mostly just a convenience thing, and I was just
> wondering if anyone knew. If not I'll just go ahead and pick one up
> tomorrow.

Up here in Canada the D70 suddenly is back ordered until April 30, so maybe
the camera is discontinued and will be replaced with the plastic mount D50.
To get an idea of the camera look at a F55 (ick!) and plop a Cosina made kit
lens on it ala FE-10.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:59:17 PM

DoN. Nichols wrote:
> In article <mu6dnZA-bNrL997fRVn_vQ@giganews.com>,
> Randy W. Sims <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote:
>
>>I've been waiting and waiting about getting my D70. I finally decided to
>>go pick one up tomorrow, but then I was wondering what will happen on
>>March 31, when the rebate expires. I'm wondering if they will just drop
>>the shelf price to 1099 (USD), which is what you get with the mail-in
>>rebate. If that is the case, I'd wait till April 1 and not have to worry
>>about the mail-in rebate. But I don't want to lose the discount. It's
>>not a big deal, mostly just a convenience thing, and I was just
>>wondering if anyone knew. If not I'll just go ahead and pick one up
>>tomorrow.
>

> Perhaps what will happen is that the D50 will be released
> (whatever it looks like), and the D70's price will remain fixed, as
> speculation has the D50 targeted at the entry-level buyers.
>
> But this is purely speculation on my part, with no firm
> knowledge.
>
> I would personally just go for it, as the longer you wait for
> the perfect deal, the more photos you *don't* take.

Batteries are charging, camera strapped around my neck, fingers poised,
waiting the green light.

I picked it up at a local Wolf camera which I kinda regret. I could have
just gone to Best Buy and avoided the greasy slick-talking salesman who
either couldn't tell the truth or just made it up as he went, but then
that's why I spent so much time doing the research before making a purchase.

I apreciate all the other feedback but when I got up this morning, I
decided I didn't want to wait any longer. It wasn't really a money issue
as much as a convenience thing, and I decided it was more convenient to
have the camera now and just send off for the rebate.

Randy.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:25:16 PM

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message
> I've been waiting and waiting about getting my D70. I finally decided to
> go pick one up tomorrow, but then I was wondering what will happen on
> March 31, when the rebate expires. I'm wondering if they will just drop
> the shelf price to 1099 (USD), which is what you get with the mail-in
> rebate.

Usually, that's what happens, though maybe not the next day, because they
want to avoid a rash of returns.

They may coordinate the price drop with the introduction of a new model.

If you buy online, the final cost is more around $960, than $1099.
!