HSF and copper?

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Which HSF combinations have you guys found to work best for the 1.4 GHz Athlon? Full copper/copper base HS? Which kind of a fan?

"Try as they might, the cow would not move, nor shut up. Moo."

FatBurger

Illustrious
Pure silver would be the absolute best HSF, but it would be rather malleable and expensive.
Copper is the next best conductor of heat.
Gold comes in after that.
Check it out <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010521/cooler-02.html" target="_new">here</A>.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
[This is lame]Swifttech, LOL. Hope the name of the company doesnt refer to the quality of their products. Anything produced "swiftly" (and therefore carelessly) tends to suck. :)[/This is lame]
Oh well, my rig is en route as we speak, with a SPIRE HSF w/copper base. I truly hope that this cooler will work well. I have some doubts, though, since this SPIRE cooler wasn't even mentioned in the THG article, or was it?

"Try as they might, the cow would not move, nor shut up. Moo."

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why doesn't anybody besides Swiftech explore the possibility of using pins instead of fins on heatsinks?
It is rather promising isn't it? The rounded pins create less are resistance and most definitely have more surface area.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

AlexNichol

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2001
I've ordered a GlobalWIN CAK38 Ultra, which has a copper heatsink. Its a varient on the heatsink/fan reviewed by Tom in the cooler roundup, but its got a far more powerful fan, running at 7000rpm!!

Apparently is a fabulous cooling system, but its heavy and sounds like a hair dyer.

G

Dude, cause fins are easier! You just take a saw type machine, and chop up a block of aluminum. The pins may work better, but since when are most tiwanese manufacturers worried about better? :)

Aklein

Member of the change the sig of the week lobby to congress