Changed class-C in network now one system has problems

bobw

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I have a home network that's connected to the internet via DSL. I was using
192.168.2.x and have a need to change from this class-C to do some testing.
I have about half a dozen devices so I figured it wouldn't be too tough but
when I changed everything to use 192.168.5.x, all devices worked as expected
except for one Win2k server. On that server, from a command prompt, I can
ping everywhere, I can tracert everywhere and I can even see all my other
devices from Windows Explorer. What I can't seem to do is telnet or web
browse FROM that computer. I can telnet into it just fine, also. I
originally thought that I messed up the DNS tables, and though I've gone
back into them and double checked, I'm still not convinced it's not
something there. All other computers and devices on the network are
functioning just fine.

I'm totally stumped on what to check next. There is another Win2k server
sitting right next to this one and I'll be darned if I can find a difference
between them so it's got to be something I'm not thinking of to check. They
are both even plugged into the same hub. If I change one of the devices
back to the 192.168.2.x and change the flakey server back, also, I can
telnet into the device. How's THAT for a head scratcher?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? Even obvious suggestions
would be appreciated. TIA

Woody

"BobW" <BobW56.at.rkwco.com> wrote in message
>I have a home network that's connected to the internet via DSL. I was
>using
> 192.168.2.x and have a need to change from this class-C to do some
> testing.
> I have about half a dozen devices so I figured it wouldn't be too tough
> but
> when I changed everything to use 192.168.5.x,
That is still a class C network

all devices worked as expected
> except for one Win2k server. On that server, from a command prompt, I can
> ping everywhere, I can tracert everywhere and I can even see all my other
> devices from Windows Explorer. What I can't seem to do is telnet or web
> browse FROM that computer
Is this server running DHCP? Do you need to modify your router, dns
settings?
What I usually do is change the IP address, and set an alternate IP as the
old address. So anything that still point to 192.168.2.1 will redirect to
192.168.5.1