Am I expecting too much from my computer?

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I've noticed that I don't get the FPS that I think I should be getting, in Borderlands 2 my fps drops below 30 in some areas, same with WoW. I reset my computer to it's factory default thinking this may sort out some things, but still this issue persisted.

My Graphics card is a Radeon 6950 Sapphire, 2gb, "Overclocked Edition"
I run in 1680x1050 resolution.
Windows 7 Home Premium is my OS
My CPU is a AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor 2.9 GHz
64_Bit Operating System
My PSU is 600 watts
My computer has 6GB of RAM.
My Drivers are up-to-date.

Closing all background programs has little to no effect to framerate.

My computer has hardly anything on it at the moment, since I just formatted it. Does anyone have some ideas as to what is causing this, shouldn't I be getting more fps? Even overlooking some Pandarian areas in WoW I will get down to 50fps at times, I know that's high, but I feel that I should be getting much more. I have a friend in my guild who has a same series Graphics card as me, and a dual core processor, yet after the patch 5.0.4 in WoW he is now getting 100+ fps, what caused this, what changed so drastically in wow, and what is wrong with my computer? I've been looking for a computer expert that is within driving range of me, but no luck there, so I decided to post this here, won't even consider taking it to best buy, that's like telling a car salesman that you've never bought a car before and that you'd like to get a good price for one.

Please keep in mind that I am not as experienced as you probably are in this.

Please Note: This post was originally made on the WoW Tech support forms, after no response within a day, I remembered this site and decided to try it, edited the post to make it fit better here.

Solution

Ok, well IF you want to... It's easy w/ that processor. and you'd see decent gains from it too. my other roommate runs his at 4.3GHz no problems.

anyway, that should be a decent step up, you are at least gaining 500 mhz or so per core. and you're going from an athalon to a phenom. It wont last for ever, but should carry you through for another year at least, maybe 2 depending on what performance you want out of it. also, look at this..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
(you go from tier 4 to tier 3)

realistically, you could upgrade to an ivy i3 and see...

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
My settings are mostly on low in Borderlands 2, in wow a few are on High, rest are on Normal or low. Shadows are always lowest they can go without being off.

What kind of specifics would you like?

I do know that 30+ is good, but considering that my friend gets around 100fps is kind of strange to me, especially considering that his processor is less powerful than mine, his is only a dual core, can't remember the speed.

screen resolution and video card control panel settings and in game control panel settings can have an impact. sure it's the same card ? just because it's a 6900 ( kinda vague ) doesn't mean it's the same card ( clock speed-vram, etc. ) 2.90 quad core.... again, vague.. ?? 6gigs of ram....... what configuration ? may not be running right ? 6gigs is an odd amount. mix and match will hurt you. Got 2 sticks that are the same ? and did you try those in dual channel mode ?

having apps open will drag you down...skype/instant messaging/streaming/anti virus/....

I believe WoW won't use more than 2 cores so having 4 won't help you there (Not sure about borderlands2), That being said his dual core CPU could very likely be performing better than yours in WoW. But you have given us next to no real usable information about your specs and his.

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

I've updated the information, I apologize for the vagueness.

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Ah, I see, well darn. What would be a good upgrade for that, or how would I overclock it? I think I've seen lists on this site for cpus, but I'm not sure of their numbers, pros and cons, etc.

Also, I've never replaced a CPU before, I've looked into it and it seems complicated, would it be best to take it to a store to have an expert do it, or is it simpler than it looks.

This might help you with overclocking http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1199/11/
You will want to buy a CPU cooler if you plan to OC the CPU a lot. Someone else might be able to help you with selecting one. Although if it was me i would upgrade my CPU / Mobo.

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

6gigs of ram, I don't know what you mean by "configured."

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Actually, I have a question, under Device Manager, four of the processor show up.

Appearing like so

-Processors
---AMD Athlon II X4 635 Processor

Why are there four of them showing? This is why I thought it was a quad core, because four of them showed up here. I never actually looked into the processor I had.

Edit: if I were to change the priority of a program, it shows 4 CPUs to select from, does this mean I have four processors? I'm confused.

misclik

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
I have confidence in you to replace a processor, just make sure to get one that uses the same Socket.. If you are smart enough to look all of this stuff up, you can replace a processor. just use some cheap arctic silver thermal paste or something and clean any that may come w/ a new stock cooler off w/ isopropyl alcohol.

your socket seems to be an AM3 socket. id say...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

you could get that and...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

that and you should be good for a while ( overclocking and all.. 4.0GHz should be easy )... it's just an overall aging socket / processor, thats all.

ram, pull them if you have to. look at the sides. it provides information. you have 6gigs. it's an odd amount and may not be running well enough for your system to be optimized.

configured......... what slots are they in ?...... 6gigs in 4 slots does not add up. if anything you should be running 2 sticks of the same exact ram in the 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 slots to run in dual channel mode. Running odd memory configuration can and does retard your machine.

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Wow, thank you very much, the pricing on these is much less than I was expecting. I assume the fan would replace the current one atop my current processor, yes? Also, what is the purpose to the paste, does it act like a glue, or does it block heat from the processor from damaging the motherboard?

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

Ah, I see what you mean, I only have 3 sticks of ram, one free slot which I assume is slot 4. 3 sticks would mean each is 2 gigs. Please keep in mind, I am very unfamiliar with this.

festerovic

Distinguished

he can run 2 x 2 GB and 2 x 1 GB for 6 gigs, and it will be running dual channel and not an issue.

misclik

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

ok, ASIDE from a new mobo and an intel chip ( i have an i5 3570k and I love it ) that processor should last a while... It's an old chip, but reliable. the new cooler comes w/ easy IKEA-like instructions. I and 4 of my friends have it, it's amazing for $20.

The paste is to conduct heat from the processor to the cooler. arctic silver is like $5-7 for a small tube.. it's good enough. Now, the cooler would also come w/ paste, but it's TERRIBLE! it dries up and actually INSULATES your cpu instead of conducting heat away from it. the arctic silver is mostly small silver filings and the cooler master stuff is ceramic..Bad. just watch some videos on youtube for how to put it on & how much paste to apply.

Just remember, If you do this... It's easier to go slow and take double the time rather than go fast and have to unbend your processor pins like my dumb roommate.

also, do you know how to overclock?

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

No, I've never overclocked anything before, and I must say, after looking at something about it, it's something I wouldn't want to try.

What is your budget for upgrading your computer? I would recommend getting a new Mobo and buying a i5 3570K if you want to over clock or a i5 3540 if not. Overclocking the intel chips are very easy, Just get a decent cooler ($20-50) and you can get them to 4.2 GHz with ease.

Spectre118

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

I strongly prefer something 150 or below, I would rather not try overclocking something myself.

If that is the case I would do what Misclik suggested, You would still want to overclock it. Overclocking really isn't that hard and there is a lot of info out there that can walk you threw it.