Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Torrent Help

Last response: in Networking
November 12, 2011 4:55:10 AM

My situation is a little complex so I'll try to give some background. In my home there is a central router that connects all our computers to the internet through a wireless connection. The download speeds we have are not the greatest, but they are alright for online gaming and surfing simultaneously on multiple computers. The problem I have is that my sister who ever since figured out how to download torrents is continuously downloading movies, programs and music nonstop, causing my connection to crawl at an annoying pace. I tried to reason with her that she should at least cap her torrents (not to mention that said torrents are illegal), and she does while I'm in the room but I am of the suspicion that she uncaps the as soon as I leave because I see my rather stable latency in certain games jump up from what it was when she capped it and settle around a new value. Basically I've had enough. I've tried reasoning with her and have told her that I would delete her torrents if I saw her hogging all the bandwidth again, but she just keeps doing what she wants to the point where I have to sit at some points and wait like 3 minutes for a single non-image webpage to pop up. So I guess what I'm getting at is: is there anyway to disable her torrent privileges specifically? Preferably the solution I am looking for is one that will allow access to bittorent on other computers (I occasionally play an MMO that has the option to update through torrents and I prefer that updating method), but block all downloading and uploading on the computer she uses. In addition I don't want to disable her internet entirely, because I have no problem with her browsing the internet. Also bonus points if anyone comes up with a solution that won't be fixed simply by her uninstalling and reinstalling the client.

Sorry if the above statement does not seem to flow nicely and is a little scattered, I'm a little peeved right now that this forum page to make this post took almost 2 minutes to load, because of her bandwith hogging.

Thanks, and as always I appreciate the help.

Also, the computer is a shared computer that I have access to and as such I can implement the solution locally on that particular machine if that makes things easier.

More about : torrent

November 12, 2011 4:34:38 PM

Thanks. I'll look into it. On another note would it be possible to block bittorent behind the computers firewall and modify her admin setting so she can't change it?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 12, 2011 5:23:13 PM

It all depends on how much control you have, and she doesn't. In an environment where both parties have PHYSICAL access to the same equipment, all bets are off. All anyone has to do w/ the router (for example) is hold the reset button for 30 secs. Boom, all your hard work up in smoke! Same w/ someone else's computer. Do you really have that kind of control? Sure, you can probably install some sort of client-based firewall to stop torrents, but if she already has admin privileges, it doesn't matter, she can simply override your changes. Heck, worst case, she can just boot a live CD of Ubuntu and happily continue downloading torrents!
November 12, 2011 11:08:10 PM

eibgrad said:
It all depends on how much control you have, and she doesn't. In an environment where both parties have PHYSICAL access to the same equipment, all bets are off. All anyone has to do w/ the router (for example) is hold the reset button for 30 secs. Boom, all your hard work up in smoke! Same w/ someone else's computer. Do you really have that kind of control? Sure, you can probably install some sort of client-based firewall to stop torrents, but if she already has admin privileges, it doesn't matter, she can simply override your changes. Heck, worst case, she can just boot a live CD of Ubuntu and happily continue downloading torrents!

She's not exactly the most computer literate person, and I do have access to both the computer and router. The only thing she would likely try is reinstalling, so I would need the fix to be in place in that event.
m
l
November 23, 2011 1:46:00 AM

Best answer selected by NightHawk21.
m
l
!