Home Premium x64 just took up 40GB on a fresh install

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
What's up with this? I was expecting about half that.

Default settings... not really any customization when it comes to installing Windows though.

Installed on a brand new 90GB SSD. Nothing on it at all.

That was the first thing I looked at after installing the drivers and yeah, 40GB.

G

did it work?

Instead of relying on those FixIt tools (though some can be quite handy), go to Start and type "cmd" ( hit Enter and allow it through UAC if it's still on), then type without quotes "powercfg -h off". I've found those tools don't work sometimes for some strange reason.

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

simple enough. typed in "cmd" in the search... waited for it to pop up... right clicked - ran as administrator... typed in command, it enters, and nothing.

i mean, it didn't say it didn't fix the problem, but then again it didn't say it did. it just goes to the next line c:\windows...etc.ect

when i click the arrow beside of shut down in the start menu it doesn't say "hibernate" whether i enter the command on or off... nothing happens either way.

tried it about 5 times. typed the command in manually and copy/pasted with same results.

when i ran the fix it tool earlier it said it was fixed... who know.

out of curiosity I ran the fix it tool again to enable it, only with windows explorer open to see if the size of the C drive changed in size. nothing... nothing in start menu either. but then again, the hibernation file probably takes a little time to grow.

ran disable fix it tool again... same... nothing. no change in C drive either... nothing in start menu.

i really don't know.

G

how much space left do you have with a clean install?

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
how much space left do you have with a clean install?

it's not exactly clean anymore... i put Steam on there and now have 2 games on the C drive.

Steam folder takes up 22.4GB with games and both program files folders take a combined 24.

right now it says, out of the 90, I have 83.7GB usable and 24.2 left.

do the math and Windows is still taking up 35.5GB.

that should be open cmd as administrator and type

powercfg.exe -h off

and press enter doesnt work without the exe part included

also lower page file size to about 1gb

and can also run this as well if not planning to uninstall sp1

open cmd and enter

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded and press enter

and its recommended to turn off system restore on an ssd drive

then reboot and should have recovered a load of space

flossbandit

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

with and without the .exe both seem to work on my work computer... i'll have to try it again when i'm home.

"dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded"

turn off system restore while running the command or permanently?

i can't turn it off for good. just can't. i always need about two at all times. it's saved me too many times.

without the exe didnt work for me but with the exe it did

not turn off system restore when running dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

its recommended to turn it off permanantly on ssd drives--google it to see

i make a system image backup in case of disaster