laharls_wrath

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Looking to build something but can use a bit of help/advice

primarily going to be used for gaming, maybe a bit of video editing

for a cpu I want to pick up an i7-3930k, while it's overkill it's something I just want to treat myself to
motherboard I was looking at the sabertooth x79, mostly for the additional memory slots and because I trust asus as a brand, however I'm open to more suggestions here

for a video card, was looking at this
I'm after either a 670 or a 680 (fairly deadset on nVidia), preferably with 4gb of vram as I plan on setting up multiple monitors

HDD wise the only thing I'm looking to pick up is a 2TB caviar black, have anything else I'd need

for memory I'm looking to pick up 16GB, but should I just pick up the cheapest DDR3-1600 I find or does anyone have any suggestions? Also torn between 4x4GB sticks and 2x8GB sticks, which is part of the reason I like the sabertooth's 8 memory slots

I have no idea what power supply to get, could really use some help here. I plan on potentially picking up a second graphics card at some point in the future but other than that I'm not sure, would rather stay on the safe side and have more than less though.

also have no idea what to do for cooling, any suggestions? I'd rather a bit of overkill than have to worry

also need help with a case, preferably something easy to work in and not plastic, other than that I've no idea and can really just use a bunch of suggestions

tldr
working on a build, have this so far
open to motherboard and video card suggestions, curious about specific memory brands, clueless about the psu, need some help picking a cooler, and could use some help picking a case

overall looking for something around $2000

Will you need the extra 4 memory slots? You could either start out with 4x4 GB for quad channel, or with dual channel 2x8 GB with the option of upgrading to quad channel 4x8 GB later on. For gaming, even 16 GB is overkill. But then so is the processor, and it's not like the memory will make much of an impact compared to the CPU and motherboard splurge.

If you can live with just 4 memory slots, I'd suggest the Asrock X79 Extreme4. That's over a hundred dollars saved.

Graphics card - GTX 670 offers better value than the GTX 680.

PSU - You'd want a good 750-850W PSU. Corsair TX 750W V2 looks like a good option.

CPU cooler - maybe something like the Cooler Master TPC-812. A little more expensive than their popular Hyper 212 Evo, but a big, mean 3930k deserves a little extra cooling performance. It's still quite affordable.

Case - well, depends what you're into.

So something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($399.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1414.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 04:53 EST-0500)