Is wifi laptops making my main comp slow

sjt1965

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hello,
because my daughters both reckon that their wifil laptops are not the reason that my computer all of a sudden becomes incredibley slow, usually just after lap tops are put on :(

I think my lack of technical knowledge is allowing my daughters to hood wink me.....or are they right??????????????????

mitchell3405

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
They are correct. A PC's speed depends upon the processor, ram, hard disk & motherboard it is equipped with. A Ethernet (wired) card or a wireless card will not slow down a PC unless you are browsing the Internet, in that case if all three PCS are browsing at once, Internet browsing speed would slow down as the usage increases among all three PCs. The speed of Non-Internet Computer Usage would not slow down. Now if you are just working in something like Microsoft Word (non-Internet based) & the PC is slowing down, then there may be a problem with your Ethernet (wired) or wireless card causing the PC to accept all data being sent out over the network, even if it is destined for the Internet, therefore slowing down your PC because it has to process that data, taking up valuable processor availability & RAM space. In the case of the prior I would take you PC somewhere to be looked at.

mitchell3405

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Also a question I forgot to ask is, Is your main PC Sharing your Internet connection or do you have a wireless router doing the sharing for you & the main PC is pulled it to it or connected via wifi?

Bdharden

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

If the answer is yes, what would be your reply. We just hooked up wifi for my nook tablet but our main computer had Internet through comcast however now the computer is so slow it barely will pull up the Internet.