Sign in with
Your question

Need help for Black Friday $630 budget build!

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2012 9:34:57 AM

Hello all! Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving :) 

Well, with all the ongoing BF sales, I decided to build myself a strictly $650 budget gaming rig from SCRATCH. Lower the price, the better! I just hope I get an answer before the sales end lol

***I came down to all the parts but am stuck on the motherboard... more details later, here is what I have gathered so far-

(All prices including after rebate)

CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz -- $159.99 (*Would love i5-3570K/2500K but seems unlikely :(  reason below!)
Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO -- $24.99
GPU: PNY GTX 560 Ti (384 cores) -- $129.99 [not a great current gen choice, yes, but I don't do heavy gaming and this may be SLI'd in future]
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1866 2x4GB -- $29.99
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 650W -- $49.99
Case: CM HAF 912 -- $44.99
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1 TB -- $67.99
DVD: LiteOn -- $15.99
===============================
$523.92

NOW, the motherboard... Basically have ~$110 left over 'technically' but being the broke college dude I am, the cheaper the better... I came down to these two:

MSI 970A-G46 -- $59.99 after $15 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-...

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 -- $99.99 after $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of course, I want to go with Gigabyte on this and I know the difference is only $40, but would it reaaally be noticeably beneficial for my current set up (poss. SLI, short-term future 'proof')? I plan on doing mild OC on CPU and GPU. I will also be recycling these for upgrading parts in the future.

I know this isn't a great setup, but it's all I can afford. I tried mixing in i5-3570K/2500K and a cheaper mobo, but I felt like I couldn't OC too well with a crappy mobo. Thus I felt like I should invest in a cheaper CPU and slightly better mobo. I don't do video editing or any CPU-intensive works either, so I don't need a great one. Just for casual gaming!

So... that's pretty much it. I feel like I'm forgetting something, oh well! Would this setup work out OK and would you recommend this for a strictly low budget build? Which mobo do you recommend and do you have any other mobos/setup combos you can possibly recommend? I already have a disc for Win7 btw!

Alrighty thanks a lot for your time and hope to hear back some answers, thanks! Happy black friday! :) 
!