Sign in with
Your question

GTX 660 TI memory interface - will it cripple surround setups?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2012 12:42:54 AM

I'm looking for a graphics card for a new computer, and the GTX 660 TI seems like the perfect card. I want a single card that could run games at 5760x1080 resolution (Triple monitor, 1080p setup with standard (non-3D) Asus 23" screens). But, the one horrible problem lies in the 192-bit memory interface. I've heard a lot on how it can really slow down the rendering at high resolutions for anti-aliasing, MXAA, etc.

I don't want to fork over $100 just for another 64-bit memory controller (GTX 670) but seriously don't want to play with only 2x or no anti-aliasing or no MXAA.

Will the 192-bit memory interface really cause that much of a doosy? I'm thinking of getting a 3GB Superclocked+ version of the 660 TI to save from the hassle of overclocking, but I'm also afraid the memory interface might further bottleneck it with higher memory.

So, is the 660 TI still the best one card solution? Or will I really need something like a 670 or 680 for this type of rig?
October 2, 2012 12:28:09 PM

The 660 ti should be fine as your screens are only about 60Hz. However, depending on the game you may not be able to go with max AA.

I wonder, what is the price difference of the 3GB SOC and a 670? There may be less than you expect. If the price was close, I would go with the 670. If not the 660ti should be OK.
m
l
!