Sign in with
Your question

I need help choosing the best compatible card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2012 3:02:00 AM

I'm ordering a barebones Ivy Bridge kit tomorrow, and I need a compatible graphics card for about $300. I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of specs, and the numbers/letters can be a little overwhelming when you don't know what you're looking at. If somebody could help me choose a card for my set, I'd really appreciate it! These are the specs for my barebones kit

GIGABYTE Ivy Bridge Unlocked Barebones Kit - GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Board, Intel Core i5-3570K CPU, ADATA 8GB DDR3 RAM Kit, Seagate 1TB HDD, 24x DVDRW, Thermaltake Commander MS-I Case, Ultra 650W PSU

If anybody could help me decide before the night's up or I order tomorrow, that'd be fantastic!
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 1:41:11 AM

id suggest posting a thread about your rig in the new builds section then think about buying things since we can help you over there

for 300 dollars, id get a 7950 but the 660ti isnt out of the question
m
l
Related resources
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 2:19:51 AM

I wouldn't go with that kit to be honest mainly based on that power supply. Ultra isn't known for being the best there is.

Do you have a full build laid out?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 6:00:12 AM

A Corsair TX650 or HX650 would be much better
m
l
October 6, 2012 3:31:19 AM

So, I ended up choosing the Radeon HD 7870 for my build, and I can't seem to get it running properly. It's my first time installing a graphics card, so perhaps I'm not doing it properly. . . I installed windows 7 on my machine, and everything worked fine. I then installed the drivers for the card, shut down the computer and installed the card. When I boot, it only shows a black screen, and occasionally gives me a pink/green pixelated screen. I'm not entirely sure what I might be doing wrong. I contacted the manufacturer, GIGABYTE, and they said that the card should be compatible with the motherboard. Perhaps I just received a faulty card?
m
l
!