Sign in with
Your question

System getting slowwww

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2012 3:41:06 PM

I'm trying to troubleshoot my system, (built a few years ago) which has been getting a little flaky.
Pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but wanted to see if anybody might better recognize a problem based on the symptoms.

1) It sometimes takes a long time just to post. When I first turn the system on, I see lots of pretty lights light up on the motherboard, and I need to take a picture and see if I can figure out what the lights mean at the mobo manufacturer's website.
After a few minutes, the lights go off, leaving just a blue power symbol light on the mobo, and then the post usually proceeds.

2) Lately if I Hibernate the system, there's about a 50/50 chance that it will successfully wake up. Sometimes it does, sometimes I get an error about how the hibernation info isn't available and I have to do a full restart.

3) When it finishes booting up, it takes a long time to do so. As much as 3 or 4 minutes. I do have a few startup programs, but they haven't been an issue in the past. Once boot is complete, things are still slow.
When I start programs, they take longer than normal to get started. Even the drawing of the windows and drop down menus seems sluggish and stuttering.

I don't think this is due to any apps running and causing problems, because CPU usage is at 0 to 5%, with RAM at about 1.6GB usage (Windows 7 64bit).

Taking a wild guess, I'm thinking it might be bad RAM or the mobo is flaking. I'm open to suggestions though.
I've heard a slow post could be due to a dead CMOS battery, so I'll check that first.

Any other advice appreciated.

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66GHz
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Windows 7 64bit

More about : system slowwww

November 23, 2012 3:52:56 PM

If it's a dead CMOS battery you'll likely start seeing the computers time be off.

Guessing you've done the basics, Malware/virus scans, Defrag, cleaned up msconfig, etc.
I would also run memtest and do a dskchk or find the manufacturer of your hdd and run w/e diagnostic tool they have for it as well.

Make sure you're updated on everything else, Bios, drivers etc. :) 

The delay in programs loading and slow boot sound like a full or really fragmented hard drive to me. Could be wrong thou
November 24, 2012 1:08:15 PM

Just wanted to follow up on this, looks like it's bad RAM, and maybe even a bad ram slot on the mobo.
Crossposted from the Gigabyte motherboard forum:

---
I have these 3 sticks:
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=110

And have been swapping them around to test. If I put one of the sticks in the first slot (DDR-3_1) by itself, the system won't even post, so I think it's shot. I was also getting the dreaded "Recovering lost DRAM size" reboot issues with that stick in place.

I've removed it, and am using the other 2 sticks, but the placement is strange. If I put them in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 as the manual states, I get only 2GB showing up in both BIOS and Windows. But if I put them in DDR3_1 and DDR_5 (leaving the central channel empty) I get all 4 GB showing up, and no more errors about "Recovering lost DRAM size".

So I'm not sure what to do...do I have a bad channel on the motherboard? Or does it have something to do with the dual/3 channel thing (which I'm not sure I understand.) I could just buy some more RAM and replace what I have, but I'd like to understand what's going on here.
---

So the slowness was being caused by the fact that even though I had 6GB of RAM, only 2 were being seen and used. 8(
!