Juggernaut information?

I'm currently running my first Exalted campaign. The PCs are currently
traveling very close to Thorns, and I'm looking for more information on
Mask of Winter's Juggernaut, and on the Bayou of Regret. Does anyone
have any pointers on where I could look? Also, anyone have any good
pointers as to what would be appropriate challenges for a group of
newly-created Solars? So far, I've basically just been picking enemies
at random from the texts and throwing them at the PCs in
random-encounter scenarios. Obviously, this is still part of us just
kicking the tires to find out how the system functions, and I hope to
start moving the focus more to storyline in the near future.

I already have an idea for an underlying conflict (at least for this
first story), but I need some ideas for good chapter-level conflicts.

Finally, does anyone hang out here anymore? It seems like this
newsgroup has become a simple advertisement for EBay auctions...
64 answers Last reply
More about juggernaut information
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Mr. Monk Goo wrote:

    > I'm currently running my first Exalted campaign. The PCs are currently
    > traveling very close to Thorns, and I'm looking for more information on
    > Mask of Winter's Juggernaut, and on the Bayou of Regret. Does anyone
    > have any pointers on where I could look? Also, anyone have any good
    > pointers as to what would be appropriate challenges for a group of
    > newly-created Solars? So far, I've basically just been picking enemies
    > at random from the texts and throwing them at the PCs in
    > random-encounter scenarios. Obviously, this is still part of us just
    > kicking the tires to find out how the system functions, and I hope to
    > start moving the focus more to storyline in the near future.

    > I already have an idea for an underlying conflict (at least for this
    > first story), but I need some ideas for good chapter-level conflicts.

    I can answer your first question: I believe the only info we've gotten
    about Juggernaut is the stuff in the Mask of Winters fiction piece near
    the end of Exalted: The Abyssals. It's a dead Behemoth, and it's trying
    very hard to reanimate. Mask of Winters mostly stops that from
    happening so he can use it as his castle.

    > Finally, does anyone hang out here anymore? It seems like this
    > newsgroup has become a simple advertisement for EBay auctions...

    We have mostly migrated to the forums at http://www.rpg.net/. It's a
    neat place, and they love Exalted there; there are people who can answer
    your questions better there than here. You'll have to register to post,
    but hey, it's free.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek

    Richard Clayton wrote:

    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    Yes, but nobody posts much anymore. Even I post more to RPG.net than here.

    I don't plan on leaving alt.games.whitewolf, but I also don't plan on
    increasing my posting rate, really.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:

    > Stephenls wrote:

    >> See you on RPG.net.
    >

    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    I lurk, but there's been nothing worth writing about here lately.

    William
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls wrote:

    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anybody left here save you and me?
    >

    > Yes, but nobody posts much anymore. Even I post more to RPG.net than here.
    >
    > I don't plan on leaving alt.games.whitewolf, but I also don't plan on
    > increasing my posting rate, really.

    Well, yeah. I'll continue to READ every post as long as I still have
    usenet access, but now and then I get an idea to write about and then
    think "Eh, why bother? Nobody's going to read it." Then I just tell you
    about it in AIM.
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton

    Richard Clayton wrote:

    > Well, yeah. I'll continue to READ every post as long as I still have
    > usenet access, but now and then I get an idea to write about and then
    > think "Eh, why bother? Nobody's going to read it." Then I just tell you
    > about it in AIM.

    I wish you didn't dislike forums so much.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    In article <35j39vF4na0rsU1@individual.net>,
    Richard Clayton <reZIGclayZIGton@verizon.net> wrote:

    > Stephenls wrote:

    > > See you on RPG.net.
    >
    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    Yup. 'Tis.

    mdf

    --
    remove 'no junk' to reply
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton:
    >Stephenls wrote:

    >>See you on RPG.net.

    >Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    Lurkers. I'd post, but I've nothing White Wolf to say at the moment.
    --
    erith - .sig
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    In the borning days of the third millennium, Richard Clayton wrote:
    >Stephenls wrote:
    >> handofomega@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> See you on RPG.net.
    >
    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    I'm here, but I haven't had anything to say lately.

    --
    Brian Merchant (remove 'remove' and 'example' from email)

    Puritanism didn't keep the puritans from sinning, it just kept
    them from enjoying it.
    --Father Joe Breighner
    Country Roads
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:
    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    Still lurking...

    Daniel

    --

    my homepage : http://hd42.de

    'Life is wasted on the living' - Zaphod Beeblebrox the Fourth
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    William wrote:
    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >> Stephenls wrote:
    >>> See you on RPG.net.
    >> Is there anybody left here save you and me?
    > I lurk, but there's been nothing worth writing about here lately.
    >
    > William

    Same here. I tend to use Wolfspoor though, but rpg.net is too unfocused
    for my tastes. And I still can't use the WW forums, and cannot be
    bothered to sort it out...
    --
    Picks-at-Flies
    Save a kill spell to deal with this guy.

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:02:44 -0500, Richard Clayton
    <reZIGclayZIGton@verizon.net> wrote:

    >> See you on RPG.net.
    >
    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?
    I'm here, even if i'm silent.

    For me, rpg.net is far less easy to use that this newsgroups.

    Guillaume
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:45:04 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    wrote:

    >Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Well, yeah. I'll continue to READ every post as long as I still have
    >> usenet access, but now and then I get an idea to write about and then
    >> think "Eh, why bother? Nobody's going to read it." Then I just tell you
    >> about it in AIM.
    >
    >I wish you didn't dislike forums so much.

    me too.

    I'll read it, Richard.

    I'll even try to comment it.

    Guillaume
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:

    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    I lurk.

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
    What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

    *Nine!* This is *nine!* We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead!
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    In article <35j39vF4na0rsU1@individual.net>, Richard Clayton
    <reZIGclayZIGton@verizon.net> wrote:

    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    I'm here. I just posted last week.

    --
    Tyler

    m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

    Bac>|wards
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls wrote:
    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Well, yeah. I'll continue to READ every post as long as I still
    >> have usenet access, but now and then I get an idea to write about and
    >> then think "Eh, why bother? Nobody's going to read it." Then I just
    >> tell you about it in AIM.
    >
    > I wish you didn't dislike forums so much.

    I dislike having no easy way to sort messages I've read from those I've
    not.
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:

    > Stephenls wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Clayton wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, yeah. I'll continue to READ every post as long as I still
    >>> have usenet access, but now and then I get an idea to write about and
    >>> then think "Eh, why bother? Nobody's going to read it." Then I just
    >>> tell you about it in AIM.
    >>

    >> I wish you didn't dislike forums so much.
    >

    > I dislike having no easy way to sort messages I've read from those
    > I've not.

    RPG.net does that.

    William
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    William wrote:

    > RPG.net does that.

    Mostly.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    "Richard Clayton" <reZIGclayZIGton@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    As someone else said,.... lurkers (like me)
    With little of the new WoD out there (and w/out me being into Exalted),
    there simply isn't much for me to comment on.
    I am eagerly awaiting to see what is done w/ the new Werewolf line however.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls wrote:
    > William wrote:
    >
    >> RPG.net does that.
    >

    > Mostly.

    USENET is better about keeping track of reading usually (though I used
    to get occasional times when I'd redownload the entire last months of
    messages at once), but I'd never use USENET if it was at anywhere near
    the volume of traffic that rpg.net gets. I dropped off a lot of usenet
    groups for that very reason - active usenet groups become a massive pain
    to read, and usenet can't subdivide anywhere near as easily as a webforum.

    William
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Michael Spagnola schrieb:
    > I am eagerly awaiting to see what is done w/ the new Werewolf line however.

    If they dont include the Bastet then i wont play it ;)

    So Long, The Werelion!
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    erithromycin <erithromycin@ananzi.co.za> wrote:
    : Richard Clayton:
    : >Stephenls wrote:

    : >>See you on RPG.net.

    : >Is there anybody left here save you and me?

    : Lurkers. I'd post, but I've nothing White Wolf to say at the moment.
    : --
    : erith - .sig

    Right now I'm a lurker- no WW stuff going on for me right
    now. It's really too bad the traffic's all moved to the
    forums- while I miss reading and occaisonally chatting about
    WW stuff, I really hate the forums. No easy way to sort read
    from unread and so very, very slow.
    ~P.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    In article <35lv6dF4kssb3U1@individual.net>, William
    <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote:

    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    > > I dislike having no easy way to sort messages I've read from those
    > > I've not.
    >
    > RPG.net does that.

    Badly. Stupid cookies.

    Clearly the answer is to initiate an agww renaissance by having dynamite
    discussions and then talking them up on forae; "Only on agww!" and so
    forth.

    --
    Tyler

    m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

    Bac>|wards
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Tyler Dion wrote:
    > In article <35lv6dF4kssb3U1@individual.net>, William
    > <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote:
    >

    >>Richard Clayton wrote:
    >>
    >>> I dislike having no easy way to sort messages I've read from those
    >>>I've not.
    >>
    >>RPG.net does that.
    >
    > Badly. Stupid cookies.
    >
    > Clearly the answer is to initiate an agww renaissance by having dynamite
    > discussions and then talking them up on forae; "Only on agww!" and so
    > forth.

    I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Tyler Dion wrote:

    > Clearly the answer is to initiate an agww renaissance by having dynamite
    > discussions and then talking them up on forae; "Only on agww!" and so
    > forth.

    I'm now an RPG.net moderator. (As of about half an hour ago, in fact.)
    I think it'd be fair to say that any such advertising posts would be
    treated as spam and deleted. At the very least, they'd be moved to the
    Ads/Promo forum, which was created specifically as a place to move ads
    so that nobody would have to look at them. As you can imagine, nobody
    bothers to look at the Ads/Promo forum.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    >> Clearly the answer is to initiate an agww renaissance by having
    >> dynamite discussions and then talking them up on forae; "Only on
    >> agww!" and so forth.
    >

    > I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

    Find me a topic and I'm game.

    However, I suggest limiting our advertisement to certain forums -
    Wolfspoor and RPG.net should do okay. I really don't want most of the
    posters at WW's forums to remember other places to bitch exist.

    William
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    William wrote:
    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Stephenls wrote:
    >

    >>> See you on RPG.net.
    >>

    >> Is there anybody left here save you and me?
    >

    > I lurk, but there's been nothing worth writing about here lately.
    >
    > William

    Ditto

    --
    Jon
    -----

    In article <35oqvhF4mgi7hU1@individual.net>, Stephenls
    <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > I think it'd be fair to say that any such advertising posts would be
    > treated as spam and deleted. At the very least, they'd be moved to the
    > Ads/Promo forum, which was created specifically as a place to move ads
    > so that nobody would have to look at them. As you can imagine, nobody
    > bothers to look at the Ads/Promo forum.

    I didn't mean actual advertisement of agww. More along the lines of
    casual mentions. "Why, we just discussed this over on agww and here's
    what I had to say" sort of thing. I mean, posters discuss and debate
    other RPG boards on Open pretty frequently. Occasionally mentioning agww
    exists and what people talk about should be fine, provided it fits the
    context of the conversation.

    The greatest barrier to getting more people to participate in a
    newsgroup is that it's one of the lesser known Internet media. People
    don't quite get it, and if they do, they'd rather have all the bells and
    whistles of a web forum.

    --
    Tyler

    m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

    Bac>|wards
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    In article <35oibkF4m20i3U1@individual.net>, William
    <wilit0613@postoffice.uri.edu> wrote:

    > However, I suggest limiting our advertisement to certain forums -
    > Wolfspoor and RPG.net should do okay. I really don't want most of the
    > posters at WW's forums to remember other places to bitch exist.

    I don't want to sound like a dork posting essentially the same thing
    twice, but I didn't mean actual advertisement. More like dropping the
    occasional mention when the flow of conversation permits. A "move subtly
    and wield your words carefully" sort of thing.

    --
    Tyler

    m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

    Bac>|wards
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Tyler Dion schrieb:
    > I don't want to sound like a dork posting essentially the same thing
    > twice, but I didn't mean actual advertisement. More like dropping the
    > occasional mention when the flow of conversation permits. A "move subtly
    > and wield your words carefully" sort of thing.

    You mean, normal Ventrue behaviour? ;)

    So Long, The Werelion!
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    In article <41f79c9b$1@olaf.komtel.net>, Markus Stehr
    <bastetfurry@nachtkatzen.de> wrote:

    > You mean, normal Ventrue behaviour? ;)

    Being unfamiliar with Vampire, I'll have to take your word on that one.

    --
    Tyler

    m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

    Bac>|wards
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:17:22 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >Tyler Dion wrote:
    >
    >> Clearly the answer is to initiate an agww renaissance by having dynamite
    >> discussions and then talking them up on forae; "Only on agww!" and so
    >> forth.
    >
    >I'm now an RPG.net moderator. (As of about half an hour ago, in fact.)

    We must now fight with knives.

    Hong "at least I think that's the protocol...?" Ooi
    --
    Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
    hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

    > > I am eagerly awaiting to see what is done w/ the new Werewolf line
    however.

    "Markus Stehr" <bastetfurry@nachtkatzen.de> wrote
    > If they dont include the Bastet then i wont play it ;)
    > So Long, The Werelion!

    Oh I agree, being a Bastet player (Pumonca/Bagheera) myself. I am mostly
    interested in seeing what may be done w/ the other changing breeds.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    : Michael Spagnola wrote:

    : > Oh I agree, being a Bastet player (Pumonca/Bagheera) myself. I am mostly
    : > interested in seeing what may be done w/ the other changing breeds.

    : They're gone. Werewolves only this time.

    That's a shame.

    ~P.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Patrick Baldwin wrote:

    > That's a shame.

    I don't necessarily think so. One of the things Ethan has mentioned a
    lot is that there are a lot of things that worked in W:tA that they're
    leaving out of W:tF because, while they would work, their absence works
    better.

    I have to say I like the focus on werewolves in a game called Werewolf
    that's about werewolves. Other shifters work well as spirits --
    fox-shifters work extra-well when built as spirits modeled after Korean
    fox-shifter myths, for instance.

    The fact that this means there's no more Bastet for people to play is
    just a bonus.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    : Patrick Baldwin wrote:

    : > That's a shame.

    : I don't necessarily think so. One of the things Ethan has mentioned a
    : lot is that there are a lot of things that worked in W:tA that they're
    : leaving out of W:tF because, while they would work, their absence works
    : better.

    And I agree with that on a number of issues, just not this one.

    : I have to say I like the focus on werewolves in a game called Werewolf
    : that's about werewolves.

    Focus on werewolves in their book, sure, but I hardly
    thing having book or two for other shifters would impact
    the focus of Werewolf.

    : Other shifters work well as spirits --
    : fox-shifters work extra-well when built as spirits modeled after Korean
    : fox-shifter myths, for instance.

    Certainly, shapeshifters as spirits works well for a variety
    of myths, particularly the kitsune.

    I just like the idea of more than just the wolves for
    the "shapeshifters made of meat" category of multiform
    critters.

    Then again, depending on how shapeshifting works in the
    new Mage, that might suffice for me. I just want the option
    of say, a guy that can turn into a bear but can't also
    turn into any other thing he pleases, and perhaps has some
    vaguely ursine traits in human form.

    : The fact that this means there's no more Bastet for people to play is
    : just a bonus.

    Well, that's one way to increase traffic. ;)

    Personally, I always prefered the Bastet to the Garou. Most
    of that was just my distate for Garou society however, and
    that may not be an issue with the new Werewolf.

    ~P.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Patrick Baldwin wrote:

    > And I agree with that on a number of issues, just not this one.

    > Focus on werewolves in their book, sure, but I hardly
    > thing having book or two for other shifters would impact
    > the focus of Werewolf.

    I kinda do. See below.

    > Certainly, shapeshifters as spirits works well for a variety
    > of myths, particularly the kitsune.

    > I just like the idea of more than just the wolves for
    > the "shapeshifters made of meat" category of multiform
    > critters.

    > Then again, depending on how shapeshifting works in the
    > new Mage, that might suffice for me. I just want the option
    > of say, a guy that can turn into a bear but can't also
    > turn into any other thing he pleases, and perhaps has some
    > vaguely ursine traits in human form.

    One of the things I think really works with the WoD in general and the
    new WoD in particular is that it's archetypal without being generic. On
    the plus side, this means it does certain things very well -- modern
    horror games about werewolves, for instance. On the other hand, this
    means it doesn't do other games at all -- modern fantasy games about
    shapeshifters with people playing different animal-people that suit them
    would be a big example of that.

    It's similar to how Vampire lets you play many different types of
    vampires, but not /every/ type of vampire -- you can't play vampires
    that walk around during the day, or that drink breath or "life force"
    instead of blood.

    I'm glad the nWoD focuses on specifically werewolves instead of
    generally animal shifters.

    That said, I believe Ethan has mentioned the possibility being open for
    different shifter-types in the far, far future. They just won't work
    like werewolves do, and will not get any spotlight time beyond their own
    books, and, for that matter, aren't even guaranteed.

    > Well, that's one way to increase traffic. ;)

    Heh.

    > Personally, I always prefered the Bastet to the Garou. Most
    > of that was just my distate for Garou society however, and
    > that may not be an issue with the new Werewolf.

    Maybe not. Uratha society doesn't resemble Garou society all that much
    -- the most obvious traits of Garou society actually show up in those
    crazy-unplayable Pure Tribes.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Hmm, interesting method of quoting ;)
    Never try that on de. or you will certanly get moved to
    de.alt.gruppenkasper or something else... not from me thoug, i like it.

    Patrick Baldwin schrieb:
    > : I don't necessarily think so. One of the things Ethan has mentioned a
    > : lot is that there are a lot of things that worked in W:tA that they're
    > : leaving out of W:tF because, while they would work, their absence works
    > : better.
    > And I agree with that on a number of issues, just not this one.

    Ok, if they think their absence is better, then they have to live with
    my absence... maybbe a little flametalk on next "Spiel" here in Essen.
    Or anybody got some dates for big game cons in germany?

    > : I have to say I like the focus on werewolves in a game called Werewolf
    > : that's about werewolves.
    > Focus on werewolves in their book, sure, but I hardly
    > thing having book or two for other shifters would impact
    > the focus of Werewolf.

    Agree, or it will be fanmade.
    How suehappy is whitewolf again? *g*

    [non wolf shapeshifters as spirits]

    Naa, how would you explain a cat-spirit to the GM?

    > : The fact that this means there's no more Bastet for people to play is
    > : just a bonus.

    ?!?

    > Personally, I always prefered the Bastet to the Garou. Most
    > of that was just my distate for Garou society however, and
    > that may not be an issue with the new Werewolf.

    Me too, as the Garou are arogant bastards that think that they are the
    only saviours for Gaia.

    So Long, The Werelion!
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    > Michael Spagnola wrote:
    > > I am mostly
    > > interested in seeing what may be done w/ the other changing breeds.

    "Stephenls" <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote
    > They're gone. Werewolves only this time.
    (snipped other stuff)

    Oh well, looks like White Wolf lost a customer with that one. Bummer
    that.... (not that my little monetary contribution (no sarcasm) mattered
    much in the grand scheme of things anyway, but I am very disappointed to
    hear that my favorite part of any of White Wolf's game lines has been more
    of less completely scrapped)

    I'll still take a look, but it doesn't sound as if I will care much for it.
    :-(
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    "Stephenls" <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote
    > The fact that this means there's no more Bastet for people to play is
    > just a bonus.

    Now...see....and I used to like you too....
    FU Stephenls! (jk) ;-)
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:
    : Patrick Baldwin wrote:

    <SNIP>

    : One of the things I think really works with the WoD in general and the
    : new WoD in particular is that it's archetypal without being generic. On
    : the plus side, this means it does certain things very well -- modern
    : horror games about werewolves, for instance. On the other hand, this
    : means it doesn't do other games at all -- modern fantasy games about
    : shapeshifters with people playing different animal-people that suit them
    : would be a big example of that.

    It may not be able to do that as is, but I think that's more
    do to the current published rules rather than anything inherent
    in the setting. I do thing the setting dictates tone and
    iatmosphere to a degree, but I think it could be good at
    anything they felt inspired to design a rules set for.

    Then again, I find myself imore and more liking the Jason
    Corley-esque idea of RPG rules as a tool set I can build a
    bunch of different things out of, depending on my taste.

    : It's similar to how Vampire lets you play many different types of
    : vampires, but not /every/ type of vampire -- you can't play vampires
    : that walk around during the day, or that drink breath or "life force"
    : instead of blood.

    Right, you can't play those right now, but the source
    material seems to indicate that what's up with Eastern
    vampire is anyone's guess, so the possibility of those
    things in the setting-as-written seems to be there,
    only needing a rules set to let you play them.

    : I'm glad the nWoD focuses on specifically werewolves instead of
    : generally animal shifters.

    Why? Aren't options good?

    : That said, I believe Ethan has mentioned the possibility being open for
    : different shifter-types in the far, far future. They just won't work
    : like werewolves do, and will not get any spotlight time beyond their own
    : books, and, for that matter, aren't even guaranteed.

    See, now that sounds good to me. I wouldn't really want
    them to work just like werewolves do unless they have some
    sort of parallel metaphysical reason for existence.

    And no, I don't think they should have spotlight time in
    Werwolf books, at least no more than vampires do.

    : > Personally, I always prefered the Bastet to the Garou. Most
    : > of that was just my distate for Garou society however, and
    : > that may not be an issue with the new Werewolf.

    : Maybe not. Uratha society doesn't resemble Garou society all that much
    : -- the most obvious traits of Garou society actually show up in those
    : crazy-unplayable Pure Tribes.

    That makes me feel strangely vindicated.

    ~P.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Patrick Baldwin wrote:

    > It may not be able to do that as is, but I think that's more
    > do to the current published rules rather than anything inherent
    > in the setting. I do thing the setting dictates tone and
    > iatmosphere to a degree, but I think it could be good at
    > anything they felt inspired to design a rules set for.

    Enh.

    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, here.

    > Then again, I find myself imore and more liking the Jason
    > Corley-esque idea of RPG rules as a tool set I can build a
    > bunch of different things out of, depending on my taste.

    I've sort of fallen into a parallel viewpoint; I'm not as big a fan of
    RPGs as generalized toolkits as I could be. I'd rather have an RPG
    that's a specialized tool, which functions as an example. My "RPG
    toolkit" is between my ears, not between covers on my shelves.

    > Right, you can't play those right now, but the source
    > material seems to indicate that what's up with Eastern
    > vampire is anyone's guess, so the possibility of those
    > things in the setting-as-written seems to be there,
    > only needing a rules set to let you play them.

    That one creature in Antagonists aside (which the developer has said
    will not ever be mentioned again), they've been fairly clear that they
    intend eastern vampires to be like western vampires with different
    bloodlines and covenants and maybe, /maybe/, a new clan, if there's a
    significant vampire archetype that isn't covered by one of the existing
    five clans. Not a foreign set of creatures like the Wan Kuei.

    > Why? Aren't options good?

    Yes and no.

    I think the presence of other werecreatures in the game is problematic,
    because it vastly increases the difficulty of running actual werewolf
    games. One is much more likely to encounter a group of players, one or
    two of which say "I'd like to play Werewolf," but actually /mean/ "I'd
    like to play, not werewolf precisely, but /another/ game where I am not
    playing a werewolf and get to look down my nose at werewolves."
    (Werekittens, anyone?) And even if you convince them no, there'll still
    be an element of disappointment which will tinge their game experience.
    If you build it, they will come, and if you publish it, they will want
    to play it, no matter how much trouble that'll be for STs.

    Making it just werewolves keeps everyone on the same page. And
    disappoints the Bastet fans, but as I said, that's a bonus.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Markus Stehr wrote:

    > Me too, as the Garou are arogant bastards that think that they are the
    > only saviours for Gaia.

    > So Long, The Werelion!

    See, statements like that are why I laugh at Bastet fan disappointment.
    You're so cat-like in your smugness. Seeing your digital
    text-conveyed expressions when you realize that the new game won't let
    you play your favorite creature type is as satisfying as watching a real
    cat trip and fall and then stand up again real quick, all "I meant to do
    that!"

    And in real life, I love cats.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls wrote:
    > Markus Stehr wrote:
    >
    >> Me too, as the Garou are arogant bastards that think that they are the
    >> only saviours for Gaia.
    >

    >> So Long, The Werelion!
    >

    > See, statements like that are why I laugh at Bastet fan disappointment.
    > You're so cat-like in your smugness. Seeing your digital text-conveyed
    > expressions when you realize that the new game won't let you play your
    > favorite creature type is as satisfying as watching a real cat trip and
    > fall and then stand up again real quick, all "I meant to do that!"
    >
    > And in real life, I love cats.

    Dogs > cats.
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:

    > Dogs > cats.

    Sure, in terms of mass...
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    --Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    In article <362ek6F4t0eo4U1@individual.net>, Stephenls
    <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    > > Dogs > cats.
    >
    > Sure, in terms of mass...

    This is not unlike the mangoes vs bananas debate.

    --
    Tyler

    m o c t o d o o h a y t a h c t i v o n i l b

    Bac>|wards
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls wrote:
    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Dogs > cats.
    >
    > Sure, in terms of mass...

    And value as pets.
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:

    > Dogs > cats.

    Only in hell.

    --
    Jon
    -----

    lord zog wrote:
    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Dogs > cats.
    >
    > Only in hell.

    Hee hee! I think I've inadvertently trolled my favorite newsgroup.

    All kidding aside, I love all animals. I prefer dogs to cats, but I've
    had pet cats and enjoyed them, too. And I realize such things are purely
    subjective and dependent on individual tastes.

    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    lord zog <evil_lord_zog@spin.net.au> wrote:
    : Richard Clayton wrote:
    :> Dogs > cats.
    : Only in hell.