serious voltage drop from my PSU ?

G

i'm having some trouble with my new PSU, an Enermax EG465P-VE(FC), i installed it yesterday, to help deal with power requirements with my system (Dual AthlonMP 1600+'s, pair of 10kRPM SCSI drives, and a couple of other power-sucking devices)... being slightly on the paranoid side, when i built the system, i installed a Digital Doc 5, that provides temperature, FAN RPM, and +5v and +12v monitoring on the front of my case ... i've been watching my +5v and +12v rather carefully since i installed the new PSU, and while the +12v seems to be fine (running at 12.05v - 12.30v) the +5v has been dropping down to <4.7v at times... and i've seen it go as low as 4.65... how serious is this ? at what point am i going to see minor (and serious) hardware problems start to crop up ? i've never had to deal with a problem like this before, so i don't really have a frame of reference to go by... if anyone can offer any tips / suggestions, or hell, just tell me how low can it go, before i start running into problems... ?

--Vertigo

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
If the +5 drops below 4.6 it will give problems........usually start re-booting on its own.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. All advice here is free.</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I doubt that digital doc is accurate. But if it is, I'd return that PSU and get a replacement. The PSU might be defective. It doesn't sound to me like you're using all 430W of your PSU.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor