Sign in with
Your question

Need help restoring dell laptop back to factory defaults

Last response: in Windows 7
February 23, 2012 12:10:48 AM

Dell is not helping me at all, this is the 3rd time this has happened on the same laptop and idk what to do I cant repair it, it says

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: o.o.o.o
Problem Signature 02: o.o.o.o
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: o
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: unknown
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:1033

More about : restoring dell laptop back factory defaults

a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 2:28:10 AM

Maybe you should ask Dell to replace your defective laptop.
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:00:02 PM

I don't know about your Dell, but I have an Inspiron 1564 and on my buddies Inspiron 17r you reset to factory settings like this:

When the Dell logo appears, hit f8 several times to enter the advanced boot menu.
Select repair you computer, then the system recovery window appears
Select your keyboard layout(English, I'm assuming), click Next
Here I was asked to login and provide my user name and password(pretty sure it has to be the administrators account to do this. you do not type administrator, though, as this will take you to the command prompt), so I put it in and clicked ok
Click Dell Factory Image Restore(you may need to select Dell factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image restore, as this is what we had to do on the 17r I mentioned.)
Click Next
The confirm data deletion screen appears(you have to hit the little box that says you want to reformat the hard drive and restore the system software to factory condition, then click next.
Then just follow the prompts form here on in. If you're even the least bit computer friendly, you should be able to get this done easily.
I really hope this works my friend. I've done it like twice to my machine and once to my buddies 17r, and watched him do it another time.
I wish I had more info about the Problem signature or whatever. Give it a go and hopefully it will work. Either way, I'm interested to know what happens.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 2:54:10 PM

as already said use the f8 method

though if it wont let you go that way you should also be able to press either ctrl+f10 or ctrl+f11 at bootup to get

the hidden recovery partition up
m
l
June 27, 2012 8:59:17 PM

Hello,

My name is Ankit and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

I understand that you are facing issues with the system & wants to reset the same to factory default settings.
You can run a diagnostic test on the system to check the hardware functionality of the system.
To run the diagnostic test, firstly shutdown the system. While restarting, keep tapping F12 key.
Once you get the screen for Boot Device Menu, select the option for diagnostics & hit enter.
If the test fails & gived any error code, do reply us back.
If the diagnostic test passes. you can follow the following link to get the steps for factory reset.
Kindlt select the Operating system before you proceed on the link below.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

For any further queries, feel free to reply back on the post.

Thanks
Dell-Ankit
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:19:14 AM

Hi,
Sorry but im also having issues with my dell n4030. I ran the diagnostic test by pressing f12 and i got error code 2000-0146. What does that mean?? Please help my computer cant fail on me now.

Thanks,
Stef
m
l
!