GTX 570 crash problem

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I've had this card for about a year or so (GTX 570) and I've been putting up with the crashes for pretty much the whole time. I'll play a game, (battlefield 3 or world of warcraft) and all will be going well and after a few hours the screen will suddenly go black and after a few seconds it will come back up with a pop up at the bottom saying that the card has crashed. Then it will start crashing like that pretty much every 10 seconds until I restart the computer. After that it's fine for a while until it crashes again and I gotta restart.

I have tried all the latest drivers, got the newest one now (300 something) but the problem has been the same throughout every driver. I've googled it a bunch and I can never seem to get a straight answer, it usually just turns out to be "oh well, the graphics company and the os company have to work it out" or some bs. What the hell is the solution to this problem?

JJ1217

Honorable
Uhm, why would you deal with it for a year? Most likely it looks like it was unstable out of the box maybe, which should of been the first thing you would of established. If its only a year old, RMA it.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Well it's an on and off problem and after a while (working with BF3) it works fine. Pretty much only now happens when I play WoW, plus, it's a homebuilt system so I don't know if I should blame the card or not. It happens now with more frequency, it didn't used to crash as much. I don't know if it's the game (wow) or something else. I watch lots of videos and play some other games and it doesn't seem to happen in any of those things so I don't know.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
In case anyone else has this problem, I have found the fix. After looking around for solutions, I saw a whole (20+ page) thread dedicated to this problem. Apparently it's an ongoing issue. You might require a more advance fix but mine was simply:

1. Start WoW (not the autoloading but the icon where you have access to the news, etc where you press the "Play" button from there).

2. Top right, click "Options" > "Game Preferences"

3. Change display mode to "Windowed (Fullscreen)" and for graphics API select "DirectX 9"

I was using DX11 and non "Windowed (Fullscreen)" and apparently the game doesn't work well under those settings. Anyway, after changing to the above settings, I went from crashing multiple times per day to no crashes whatsoever after about a full week. Hope it helps.