Bad motherboard.. caused by memory?

G

My computer has been having crazy lockups for a few weeks, usually i couldnt even get into windows without locking up.

After trying everything to fix this, the gateway tech tells me i need to bring my comp in to a gateway store to have it tested and stuff.

A few days later the a tech calls me and says my mother board is fried. He tells me the only reason that he can find behind my problems is the memory that i just added to my system. (a 512 mb dimm that i found on pricewatch.com)

So my question is, is it even possible for memory to do this to a motherboard? I dont really want to toss it away because a gateway tech says it caused my problems.

Thanks

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
IMO i dont think so.
memory cant "fried" anything apart itself.
simply because memory cant fried at all, just the cpu can do this.
also the fried cpu can damage the mb but not the memory.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
Not true. A defective dimm can most certainly cause damage to a MoBo. I recently had a dimm completely toast one mobo's memory controller, and incapacitate a dimm slot on another board. It was a 512/pc133 Samsung dimm purchased from CNETPC, and when it was installed on my MSI board, the board no would no longer properly address any of my dimms (tried a bunch of em), and when testing the bad dimm on my Gigabyte board, the slot in which I installed the dimm no longer acknowledges any dimms whatsoever. The dimm was either a manufacter defect, or [more likely] was victim to ESD at the vendor due to improper handling procedures.

DIM POST, STUPID
POST = INPUT $X
STUPID = PEEK 420, 255
IF POST >= STUPID, THEN GOTO H3LL