Confused - most recent 17" LCD review

Rocket

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I was feeling really informed after reading the latest installment of the 17" LCD comparions, but trying to find *any* information on the Proview has left me confused.

First, there's no info on their site, and there's no mention of the display on the manufacturer's site.

Second, the only place selling a "Proview 776" is Circuit City, but it's actually a Max Innovision LT-776, with what seems to be the same specs except for the contrast and response time.

Third, I called Proview, and apparently they are related to Mag, but their specs for the "PRO776" are a lot different than those of Tom's Hardware review: typical response time of 30ms and a contrast ratio of 400:1 (typical), whereas the Mag LT-776 has a typical response time of 16ms and a contrast ratio of 500:1.

Finally, the Proview tech specs direct from the Proview support department list the display as having only an analog input, and no DVI.

So, if anyone can shed some like on these things, I would definitely appreciate it!!!

Thanks!

-- Rob --

kilgry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
I just purchased a Proview 776 from CircuitCity. The specs stated 45ms response times. It is definitely not 45ms. It is even faster than the Samsung 191T which is 25ms. I do believe it is a 16ms.

Like you however, I was caught off guard by the analog only. I think there is a 776 and a 776D (being the one with DVI...but I can't find it anywhere).

Overall, not happy with this monitor. Find my post "16ms problem".

Rocket

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I am curious where they got that monitor for the hardware comparison. I called the phone number for the site listed for technical support for ProView, and then the number for the Mag Innovision monitor, and they both ended up at the same company. The specs they gave for the Proview did not match those in the hardware comparison article. I'm thinking they didn't actually test the Proview, but rather the Mag Innovision with a Proview label.

kilgry

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Might be a MAG, I haven't looked into that aspect. However, I do know that Proview does not list the 776 on their website but their drivers do recognize it.