Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Final Review: $1500 Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2012 6:15:41 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: I plan to have all purchases made by Monday

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) ~$1500 max excluding peripherals

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming (BF3 PS2 TW Series) / office suite

Are you buying a monitor: Yes - BenQ XL2420T

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes (future)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Based primarily on g-unit1111's proposed build, I've come up with the following build, my intention is to add a second GPU to the machine in the future if it becomes necessary to do so. I still need to add a second monitor for productivity purposes, but that can be considered outside the scope of this budget. I'm looking for a cheaper second monitor with similar design characteristics/size/resolution. Any feedback would be appreciated, I'll start making the purchases this afternoon through Monday.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse ($46.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1677.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 15:16 EST-0500)
November 23, 2012 8:04:01 PM

Nice build fits your needs perfectly.
m
l
November 24, 2012 3:21:49 AM

Alright! So I just finished ordering the components listed above and can't wait to build it! I was going to try to wait for Cyber Monday before ordering some components, but was spending way too much time looking for deals when I should be doing other things. I'll look to purchase my second monitor on Monday and fill in some peripherals if I can find some good deals.

Thanks to all for the help, I'll post some pics when I've got it all ironed out.
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2012 3:41:54 AM

the 2TB HDD from Seagate is about the same price as that HDD of yours
m
l
November 24, 2012 4:48:20 AM

That's the monitor I plan on getting one day. Congratulations on the kickass system.
m
l
November 24, 2012 2:47:38 PM

boulbox said:
also just a preference in case

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc922xm...

also combos with the 2TB HDD

i have the 410 and i am having second thoughts, i am thinking of selling it and just grab a different case

What about the 410 do you not like that the HAF does better? I'm not too worried about the 1TB vs 2 TB issue - I barely use 80gb on my current main computer. Admittedly, it doesn't have any games on it, but I can't imagine filling up a 1TB drive for a very long time. The only reason I purchased one at all is because I bought the argument that excessive writing/deleting from the SSD was a bad thing, otherwise, I would have been fine with 256gb. As it is, I should be able to fit my OS, all my games, and Office on the SSD with lots of room to spare.

Is that PSU substantially better than the one I've selected to the point where it would be worth returning my initial purchase to get it? There would be some cost associated with this, I'm sure. I was pretty comfortable with this unit as a few of the regulars here seem to consistently recommend the series.

m
l
November 24, 2012 3:12:47 PM

the 2TB is the same price as the 1TB, if you do not use a lot just throw the HDD out of the build and use the 256GB SSD until you need more.

the excessive writing/deleting will just be helped by TRIM so you do not need to worry about space.

the PSU i posted is the same price but just a better PSU overall. Gold rated at $100, and modular and the original price is around the $150-$200 area which makes it a crazy good deal

if the product has not shipped yet, you can just cancel the order
m
l
November 25, 2012 12:53:21 AM

Bummer - Newegg says the order can't be cancelled at this point. Oh well - it doesn't seem to me like it will be worth paying the restocking fee on the one I purchased to get the Seasonic, although I would like modular/gold features. I'll see what I can get accomplished with customer service when they reopen on Monday.
m
l
November 25, 2012 1:05:27 AM

Well at least it is not all that bad, i would have gotten the 410 has some cable management, its just the grommet holes that bug the crap out of me. Just my personal tastes on things though.
m
l
November 30, 2012 5:42:16 AM

Well, the machine is assembled and in working order - now I need to do some cable management, close up the box, download some drivers, and buy another sata cable as I'm one short.

Thanks all for your help - I'll post some pics when I finish up.
m
l
November 30, 2012 10:36:39 PM

Hey guys - here it is, in final working condition:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/808/photoqwa.jpg

I almost had a heart attack when I put the side panels on - the machine stopped booting successfully. It would power up for a few seconds then automatically shut down. I thought that I broke something putting the cables in order, but worked through the troubleshooting guide here and got it to work again. I suppose I must have dislodged the GPU somehow, because when I took it out and powered up again it booted fine, and when I put the GPU back in and powered it with different cords everything worked fine again.

I was going to ask for some advice on better cable management, but I'm not very eager to go back through and risk "breaking" something again.

Anyways, thanks for all the help guys - I certainly wouldn't have had the confidence to select/build my first machine without your help.

Cheers -

Mark
m
l

Best solution

November 30, 2012 11:47:27 PM

The risk of breaking something from trying to redue some parts are fairly low, The biggest advice to give is try to wire everything to the back of the case for better airflow(also taking out the removable middle tray can improve airflow)

Almost forgot to mention, Turn the PSU upside down, right now it is literally pushing the heat from the PSU into your GPU
December 11, 2012 2:28:11 AM

Best answer selected by mark11b2p.
m
l
!