LOW fps with gtx 670

Status
Not open for further replies.

failboater

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
955 BE (4.2ghz) - 600w PSU - 8 gigs 1600k ram - M5A78L-M LX mobo - EVGA GTX 670 - h100 cooler - 500g HHD - 120g SSD

So just put in a new gtx 670 and I can't believe the FPS I'm getting. I average around 28 fps in BF3. Clean install with the newest drivers and no dif. Anyone else having problems with the 670? Anyone fixed problems like this? I know I should be getting way better frames. I was running a gts 450 with almost everything set to ultra on 1080 and i was getting about the same frames. WTF?

Solution
since your mobo cann't handle 955's power requirements then your cpu throtle down and thus your gpu sits idle due to slow cpu (due to throtling of cpu)

though you can try to run it at stock clocks with lowered voltage (as much lower as you can)
and check its speed during gaming to confirm if it still throtles down or not

I'd most likely head to Fry's electronics when they open this morning. Cheaper the
better is my price range but I really would rather not spend more than $70.
searching........

sarcasm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah something's clearly wrong. The CPU should be more than enough for BF3 and a GTX 670 should be able to do 60fps on Ultra.

Sorry I don't really have any ideas for a solution though. Did you try to run the CPU at stock just for comparison? Perhaps some throttling could be in the CPU and not the GPU.

I guess do what truegenius says by checking CPU/GPU usage.

Maher90

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
i don't know if i am right or not but i think 955 BE is a little slow for a gtx 670,from what i guess (based on stupid theories :p) you would need something like i5 3450 or something equivalent

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

we are looking at "bus interface" and in the picturw above it looks odd :??: as it is running @x16 v1.1
1) click on that "?" mark so as to push it (gpu) in higher power state to check if it is getting back to normal (x16 v2)

2) use hwinfo64 (sensor) (hwinfo32 for 32bit window) to check voltages at 12v during load (use "occt" software to test psu) so as to check your psu

failboater

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/rYimX.gif seems to have bumped back up.

Exactly how do you want me to test the PSU? got hwinfo64. Just need to know exactly what you need to be able to help me. By the way... thank you thank you thank you. Ive been banging my head against the wall for the past... 12 hours or so trying to get the dang card working.
If it is the mobo can you recommend a cheap upgrade for me? Just bought a 670 and cant afford much on that front at the moment. Somthing that would allow SLI in the future?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
your board is rated for upto 95w cpu only and 955 is not officially supported
so it looks like your cpu is throtling down due to motherboard's limited support

since your board does not support 125w cpu, i will suggest you to not to overclock and not to stress it

check hwinfo64 sensor to make sure that your cpu is not throttling down
and this is running at your overclocked/clocked speed
and double click on each cores clocks in sensor and it will show you the speed of each cores
and then run the game for awhile and then check those graph to make sure that your was constantly running at normal speed.

Though i think that your board is not able to handle 955@4.2ghz so upgrade your motherboard

failboater

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

Thanks for the advice I'll try that now. Even if the motherboard cant handle the overclock (or cpu in general) at stock speeds I get the same frames. Could the mobo not giving enough wattage to the CPU really mess with my GPU that much?

failboater

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

I'd most likely head to Fry's electronics when they open this morning. Cheaper the better is my price range but I really would rather not spend more than $70.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
since your mobo cann't handle 955's power requirements then your cpu throtle down and thus your gpu sits idle due to slow cpu (due to throtling of cpu)

though you can try to run it at stock clocks with lowered voltage (as much lower as you can)
and check its speed during gaming to confirm if it still throtles down or not

I'd most likely head to Fry's electronics when they open this morning. Cheaper the
better is my price range but I really would rather not spend more than $70.
searching........

Solution

failboater

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

So I'm running a stress test with prime95 and im getting some interesting data that looks to be backing up you assumptions.
http://i.imgur.com/iEkGT.png

Looks to me that even while OC'ed it dosnt go much farther than stock speeds. If I'm reading this right. This would also explain why I'm getting such a poor OC out of my CPU. With my cooler I was expecting at least 4.4Ghz.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

it throtles down to 633mhz
and base clock to 158mhz
so asus's saftey measures worked and kept the board and cpu safe ;)

also hwinfo's screen is only showing 3 cores total ?? :??:
did you dissabled a core? :??:

failboater

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012

Nope, didn't disable a core. So this for sure explains my low FPS with the GTX 670?
Also I cant thank you enough for shopping for me but I really dont have the cash to buy that pre-rebate.
Think this one would work for me? http://www.frys.com/product/6755395?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Status
Not open for further replies.