Mage_Warrior

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hello,
I have an older Custom Computer, basic Stats are:
EVGA X58 Clasified 3XSLI M/B.
Intel I7 980Extreme Hex Core, O/C 4.0Gh.
12G's DDR3 1600 MHz RAM.
3 GTX480 1.5G video cards in 3X SLI Setup.
Silverstone 1500W Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Power Supply.
2 160G Intel X-25M hard drives in a RAID 0 Array and 2 W/D Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM Storage drives

Due to some issues I have had with the computer/company in the 2 years I have had the system, they are offering a substantial discount on a graphcs upgrade, basically 3 GTX680 Classified 4G cards in my existing 3XSLI setup or 2 GTX690 4G cards for Quad SLI!

After reading/reasearch I need some advise, which set up should I choose, keeping I mind that I am looking for the most forward compatiable arrangement possible, my M/B is only PCIE2.0 so I know I am losing a little there but from what I understand should not be enough to notice, in 3XSLI my board only gives me 16X-8X-8X bandwidth because my Mini-PCIE slot is also being used by my sound card but 3 GTX680's would give me 12G's of video memory, I have been told/read also that would be better for future gaming/performace to have the extra video memory, rather than the 2 faster GTX 690 cards with only 8G's of video memory, I have also been told/read that the 2 GTX690's with the 16X-!6x bandwidth would be better because the faster and bear with me, don't remember the exact quote I read, "Quicker Interaction" between the dual GPU's on each card will give me better performance and lastly but not least I have read for years literaly about the stuttering issues many games have with QuadSLI setups and I have hard that the recent Nvidia Driver release address/fixes this problem/issue, if so which setup should I chose and why, thank you for your time and attention!!!

Mage_Warrior

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Ok people, this is a serious post, asking for real opinions, I realise that to some it might just seem like I am bragging about my system even though it is two years old, I did forget to mention that th CPU, chipset and GPU's are liquid cooled, I keep getting the runaround from the company about exact benchmark differences between the 3XSLI and quad SLI, some help from knowledgeable/experience people regarding which set-up would most listely be best for the future life/gameplay of the computer would be much appreciated!!!!!

zcoot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
ok to start with having 2 GPUs do not combine memory. They just pretty much double the frame rate and operate indepentently.

Using a GTX 690 is a big no no with PCI-e 2.0 since band width would become an issue since it needs twice the band width of that of a single 680.

So I would suggest just getting a GTX 680 and put them in dual or tri SLI.

Also making a computer proof I would not look at as much of a hassle since