Sign in with
Your question

CDROM drive unable to read any cds

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 24, 2001 5:32:23 PM

Hi I have a 48x Creative 4834E cd-rom drive. I am running Windows 2000 and Windows 98 and this problem occurs on both OSs. The cd-rom drive was working fine one minute then a couple of hours later the problem occured though the system and drive had not been touched. The problem is that whether I put any audio cd or data cd then the cd-rom busy light will flash at the same intervals for about a minute and during that the autoplay has not started up also during this there is some hard disk activity. Then when I attempt to access the cd all I get is a dialog asking me to insert a cd. I did not change the drivers at any time nor did I tweak with the computer at all. I tried the usual thing like uninstalling it and reinstalling it and Win 2K does detect it and says that the "device is working properly". I believe it is a hardware problem rather than a cd-rom problem and so would like to know whether it is quite likely that a 2 year old or less cd-rom drive would just fail? The eject feature does work fine. I was able to get it working for about 10mins though it was extremely slow at reading the cd by fiddling with it a bit including ejecting through the hole that has an eject button inside but then when I reset to make sure it did not work. If you have any idea about what could have happened please help also I have another cd-rom drive that works fine and uses the same standard Microsoft drivers and it's ATA controller uses the same drivers as my broken cd-rom drive and my and disk which is on the same channel as my cd-rom works fine. If you need more info please say and also it has been working fine in the same setup for about 3 months as I upgraded my stem 3 months ago.
November 25, 2001 3:34:35 PM

Welcome to the CD failure club!!!
I also have had problems with CDROM drives not lasting long. Actually none of are lastin long - about 2 yrs max for me! Both CyberDirves and Creative have gone out on me... Have an old 24X mitsumi that keeps on goin, but all of my faster CDROM drives have been replaced( all 4 boxes) ...

And - I just replace with DVD now... Lite-On and Artic read regular cd's at 40X(acceptable) and don't cost much more say($32 for 52X CDROM drive Vs $46 for DVD drive)

I'm hopin DVD drives will last beter...
November 25, 2001 4:07:42 PM

Oh yeah, it's dead. My previous 52x broke in 3 months. They just don't make things the way they used to......I have a 24x CDROM from '95 which works great. Only that it's 24x...

NOS and a <font color=red> Ferrari </font color=red> can be fun! :cool:
Related resources
November 25, 2001 4:10:03 PM

Hehe, seems that the 24x drives last long- must be a special gene:) 

NOS and a <font color=red> Ferrari </font color=red> can be fun! :cool:
November 25, 2001 7:02:10 PM

A hi-fi buff gave me a good tip on an indicator of good build quality on cd-players, i see no reason why it wouldnt work for cdroms, although you'd have to be able to try the thing out first :(  the tip is simply to eject and see if the tray clunks to a halt or glides to a standstill.

obviously it doesnt actually mean anything in itself, but it does indicate just how much of an anal attention to detail the manufs have :)  I'd be interested to know if the lifespan of slot-in drives is bigger.

ps, paragraphs, punctuation. hehehe.

[oh yeah, might as well try a cd-lens cleaner, if that doesnt work take a screwdriver and open it up, fiddle about... since its broke already you cant make it worse]

The more I know the more I know I don't know<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 11/25/01 04:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!