Sign in with
Your question

System for photo editing, perhaps video editing. No games.

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2012 7:35:13 PM

After lurking here for awhile and reading tons of threads, I've convinced myself to try to build my first desktop computer, and I'm hoping for a little feedback before I pull the trigger and begin ordering items.

My main interest is photography, and I use Lightroom and Photoshop extensively. I shoot with a 5D Mark II, so the ~25mb files are too much for my current machine and when I get to layered files in Photoshop, the file size can get up to >200mb and I spend a lot of time just waiting for the computer to unfreeze.

What I desperately want is something that's smooth and fast for these purposes. Down the road I think I could get interested in photo editing, but not professionally. There's really no chance I will want to play games of the type that would tax a system.

Below are the parts I've tentatively selected (courtesy of pcpartpicker.com), with my rationale for picking them where appropriate. I really would appreciate any feedback of any kind. I think I'm aiming at around $1100 for hardware (no monitor needed), and while I could potentially go a little higher I'd rather not and money does matter.

Thanks.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $300 - seems to be recommended for Photoshop and seems like a sweet spot for price/value

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $25 - I have no idea. I work in an attic-type room and it can get hot in the summer, albeit not ridiculously hot. Reliability is my #1 issue and I'd do what I need to do to make sure heat doesn't damage anything.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $170 - Several people have told me good things about ASUS reliability. Again, this is very important to me.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $76 - 16mb seems right. No idea what type is best.

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $88 - no idea. 1TB is the right size. Want reliable but probably not going to do RAID

Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $120 - planning to load OS and Photoshop on here, along with the files I'm working on, to enhance speed.

Video Card: PNY GeForce GT 520 1GB Video Card $46 - don't think I need a video card much, so just paying $45 for this for now.

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case $65 - no clue what to get

Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $84 - no clue

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer $30 - no clue

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $80 - seems like I should get the OEM to save money

Keyboard: Lite-On SK-1788/BS Wired Standard Keyboard $15

Mouse: Logitech M305 Wireless Optical Mouse $25

About $1100 total. I have already a good monitor with color calibration hardware.

I'd really just like to learn more about this, so any input of any type is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jay
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2012 7:51:11 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card ($133.62 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.03 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($25.28 @ CompUSA)
Total: $897.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 16:51 EST-0500)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 23, 2012 7:54:36 PM

Im not really that good at a computer for editing, but ill try help.

The i7 will be great for editing, so keep that. I think that cpu cooler is decent.
Good choice on the SSD and HDD, will make photoshop and os load faster.
I think that 7 will be better than 8 for what your looking at. Windows 8 is more for tablets and laptops?
Decent case choice.
You will probably want a bit better GPU, maybe a 7770 or 550 Ti cause i think a better one will give you a better photoshop? again, im not too sure just guessing a bit.

You dont have to take my advice, im trying to help, but before you start changing your build i would wait for someone to post that is better at this than me.

Otherwise, good luck! Im building my first gaming computer soon too :) 
m
l
November 24, 2012 7:31:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback. GPU is a good question - I've read conflicting reports regarding whether Photoshop (without any 3d or similar functions being used) can make enough use of a good graphics card to make this a worthwhile purchase. I do plan to have this machine for awhile, so future use is an important consideration.

I also don't know how much I need a good video card for basic video editing.

On the Motherboard I'm completely lost. I mostly just want something that is extremely unlikely to break.
m
l
Related resources
!