Power Supply Confusion

G

[Also posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt....]

My InWin case has a Powerman Model HP-D301GF5 power supply. This power
supply is NOT on AMD's approved list. However, the AGI Model HP-D301GF5
*is* on AMD's approved list.

Are these the same power supplies? I've read that most power supplies are
made by just a few vendors. It would seem more than coincidence that those
model numbers would be exactly the same.

Any input/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Possibly. One of the things AMD approves and that you could visibly check is whether your power supply (bottom side facing the motherboard) has a fan or ventilation slots/holes directly above the cpu/hsf combination. This is desirable by AMD to remove heat away from the processor.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. All advice here is free.</font color=blue>

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I went out to buy a power supply(for AMD processor), I check 2 things:

1)The power supply must have at least 150w combined maximum output for 3.3v and +5v, higher is better.

2)It must be a heavy one. To know how heavy, go to a shop with many different brands of powersupply, including generic brand, take one branded powersupply and feel the weight, and compare it with a generic brand.

Hope this help.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
1) I agree. Depends on your system. 150w for some and more for others.

2) Ever wonder how the light weight ones get "ul" and other approvals?

Asked a sales person at "Best Buy" once about that. He says "With modern technology you don't need a lot under the hood." I looked at him and thought how he and the lightweight power supply were similar.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

TRENDING THREADS