Career Help!!!!

CowboyTech91

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I love computers and what they do. I want to be in the line of field between networking and A+ can some help me figureing out what field be the best to get into like N+, A+ or MSCE

Solution
The best thing you should do is join a general IT university/college course. These will cover all aspects of IT - software, networking, web-design.

This will allow you to check out all areas. I started off in hardware but ended up doing CCNA.

Chose a course with as many certs as possible (CCNA/ MCSE /Comptiaa/A+ etc) and one that will give you an option to do a practical sandwich course with an employer.

The best thing you can have is proper practical experience to backup your certs.

Good luck

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Decide this for yourself, do what YOU want to do, not what other people want you to do.

jsmith89

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Networking is fun stuff. Theres something rewarding about configuring a network smoothly on the first try. Have to be decent with basic algebra and be able to read and comprehend (for knowledge of protocols and what-not). Also you cannot be scared of the command line. But that goes for any job in IT.

There is more money to be made in developing software, however. But you have to be able to make something that works and is worth the users while (obviously [:fisshy:2] ). With networking, you set it up, if it works, your job is basically to maintain the network until it fails. Then you have to work, but if you know what you're doing the fix is easy most of the time. It's all about practice.

Also, if you havent already, look into obtaining some e books from the bay of pirates so you can read up on some different topics to see which direction you'd like to head in. For me, configuring routers and switches sounds like a dream job.

CowboyTech91

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Well I heard if your doing software it takes a lot of math, and problem is that im not great with math. But if i knew what math like skill it takes for that one subject i can get it down. I just want to know what field i can get in and thats not a pain to do. That has decent pay.

jsmith89

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
If you dont want stress dont do IT. Work at Wal Mart or McDonalds.

There's no such thing as a job that isnt a pain to do. Just find one that consumes your time and interests you. Whatever makes the workday go by faster. lol

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
The best thing you should do is join a general IT university/college course. These will cover all aspects of IT - software, networking, web-design.

This will allow you to check out all areas. I started off in hardware but ended up doing CCNA.

Chose a course with as many certs as possible (CCNA/ MCSE /Comptiaa/A+ etc) and one that will give you an option to do a practical sandwich course with an employer.

The best thing you can have is proper practical experience to backup your certs.

Good luck

Solution