Where do I stand with this new computer...

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
About to put the last piece into a new computer I've been slowly building over the last month.

Processor: AMD FX-6200 3.8 GHz
Memory: 8GB of DDR3 @ 1600 MHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
PSU: 650 Watt Antec Earthwatts EA650

I just finally got a pretty good deal on a black friday sale on newegg for a new video card, an EVGA GTX 560 2GB Superclock.

I'm wondering where I will stand today in gaming. What do you think I can achieve with this? I know the 560 is beginning to age, but that doesn't concern me at the moment. I am running at a 1680x1050 resolution (Contrary to what many people say, some modern games WILL use more than 1GB of VRAM even at lower resolutions., such as Battlefield 3 using up to 1.5 GB of VRAM at this resolution). I got the 2GB of this card cheaper than the 1GB so there was no way I was passing it up.

I've been using an old 9800 GT 1GB in the meantime with this build, and it's not cutting it well anymore with modern games.

By the looks of it, that processor could cut me back about 3-5 fps average depending on the game compared to using the same build with a top of the line i7. But I have noticed cut backs of up to 20fps on some CPU heavy games such as Just Cause 2.

Anyone have FPS charts and guides or can direct me to some one what an FX-6200 and a 560 can accomplish together?

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Looking at their other tests, it seems I don't have to worry about most games, but Just Cause 2 had a 10-20 fps difference (Largest impact out of all of them).

It seems I may be fine at my resolution and possibly turning shading or AA down on a game or two, since FXAA + 2xAA looks better than 4xAA to me, and provides a lesser performance hit.

I will upgrade to an Intel setup eventually, but I think I'll be good for a year or two at the moment (Since I don't mind turning some things down on brand new games that I really want to try but have bad performance on.)

I would do some overclocking but it seems the board I have has received some complaints about things frying after overclocking a 125W processor, so maybe I'll do that when I think this computer is at the end of its line in the modern world.

TRENDING THREADS