Attn Stephenls

Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

An Exalted thread requires your pimpage here:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=120271


--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ | -- RR
Sydney, Australia |
13 answers Last reply
More about attn stephenls
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Hong Ooi wrote:

    > An Exalted thread requires your pimpage here:

    > http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=120271

    Acknowledged!
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    -Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls wrote:

    > Hong Ooi wrote:
    >
    >> An Exalted thread requires your pimpage here:
    >
    >
    >> http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=120271
    >
    >
    > Acknowledged!

    You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty much
    what I'd say, only better.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    -Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    wrote:
    >You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty much
    >what I'd say, only better.

    Yes, for example : "I heard that the game is a blast for players, but
    a real chore to GMs"
    It's exactly what I'm thinking, too bad I'm supposed to be the GM...

    Guillaume.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Guillaume JAY wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty much
    >>what I'd say, only better.
    >
    > Yes, for example : "I heard that the game is a blast for players, but
    > a real chore to GMs"
    > It's exactly what I'm thinking, too bad I'm supposed to be the GM...

    This is simply not true. Exalted games practically write themselves;
    once your players get into the swing of it, they'll have thousands of
    things they want to do, and you'll have cool ideas coming out of your ears.
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:
    > Guillaume JAY wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty much
    >>> what I'd say, only better.
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, for example : "I heard that the game is a blast for players, but
    >> a real chore to GMs"
    >> It's exactly what I'm thinking, too bad I'm supposed to be the GM...
    >
    >
    > This is simply not true. Exalted games practically write themselves;
    > once your players get into the swing of it, they'll have thousands of
    > things they want to do, and you'll have cool ideas coming out of your ears.


    Yes, but effective opponents are a chore to build. Building a 50+
    experience Exalt who won't be owned by a circle or massacre them without
    effort takes hours if you manage it at all. Exalted is ultimately a
    min-maxing system, mechanically, and getting it right is a pain in the ass.

    And that's at the _start_.

    William
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    William wrote:
    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> Guillaume JAY wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty much
    >>>> what I'd say, only better.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Yes, for example : "I heard that the game is a blast for players, but
    >>> a real chore to GMs"
    >>> It's exactly what I'm thinking, too bad I'm supposed to be the GM...
    >>
    >> This is simply not true. Exalted games practically write
    >> themselves; once your players get into the swing of it, they'll have
    >> thousands of things they want to do, and you'll have cool ideas coming
    >> out of your ears.
    >
    > Yes, but effective opponents are a chore to build. Building a 50+
    > experience Exalt who won't be owned by a circle or massacre them without
    > effort takes hours if you manage it at all. Exalted is ultimately a
    > min-maxing system, mechanically, and getting it right is a pain in the ass.
    >
    > And that's at the _start_.

    I politely suggest you're going at it the wrong way. A rival Circle of
    Solars or deathknights isn't going to just run up and tackle the group
    in combat; they're going to use the same ultra-heroic abilities the PCs
    have. Which means instead of charging straight in, the enemy Zenith
    Caste is training an army of fanatically loyal tiger warriors, the
    Twilight is equipping them with powerful weapons and armor, and the
    Eclipse is establishing mutual defense agreements with neighboring
    kingdoms. Sure, your PCs could just charge the gates and attempt to plow
    through a few hundred mortal troops who could put the Empress's Own
    Guard to shame, but it's more fun if it's run as a large-scale war
    between upstart demigods.
    There are plenty of other supernaturals who rival or surpass the power
    of the newly reborn Solars, from gods to elder Sidereals, and I've never
    had trouble creating plots and confrontations that genuinely endanger
    the PCs.
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Richard Clayton wrote:
    > William wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Clayton wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guillaume JAY wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty
    >>>>> much what I'd say, only better.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes, for example : "I heard that the game is a blast for players, but
    >>>> a real chore to GMs"
    >>>> It's exactly what I'm thinking, too bad I'm supposed to be the GM...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> This is simply not true. Exalted games practically write
    >>> themselves; once your players get into the swing of it, they'll have
    >>> thousands of things they want to do, and you'll have cool ideas
    >>> coming out of your ears.
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, but effective opponents are a chore to build. Building a 50+
    >> experience Exalt who won't be owned by a circle or massacre them
    >> without effort takes hours if you manage it at all. Exalted is
    >> ultimately a min-maxing system, mechanically, and getting it right is
    >> a pain in the ass.
    >>
    >> And that's at the _start_.
    >
    >
    > I politely suggest you're going at it the wrong way. A rival Circle
    > of Solars or deathknights isn't going to just run up and tackle the
    > group in combat; they're going to use the same ultra-heroic abilities
    > the PCs have. Which means instead of charging straight in, the enemy
    > Zenith Caste is training an army of fanatically loyal tiger warriors,
    > the Twilight is equipping them with powerful weapons and armor, and the
    > Eclipse is establishing mutual defense agreements with neighboring
    > kingdoms. Sure, your PCs could just charge the gates and attempt to plow
    > through a few hundred mortal troops who could put the Empress's Own
    > Guard to shame, but it's more fun if it's run as a large-scale war
    > between upstart demigods.
    > There are plenty of other supernaturals who rival or surpass the
    > power of the newly reborn Solars, from gods to elder Sidereals, and I've
    > never had trouble creating plots and confrontations that genuinely
    > endanger the PCs.


    You completely missed the point. Challenges are abundant and varied, but
    stating them in such a way that they are what you want them to be takes
    rediculous (defined, here, as a couple of hours) of time.

    William
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >Stephenls wrote:
    >
    >> Hong Ooi wrote:
    >>
    >>> An Exalted thread requires your pimpage here:
    >>
    >>
    >>> http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=120271
    >>
    >>
    >> Acknowledged!
    >
    >You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty much
    >what I'd say, only better.

    Oh, you're no fun.


    --
    Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
    hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"
    http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ | -- RR
    Sydney, Australia |
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Hong Ooi wrote:

    > Oh, you're no fun.

    Oh, I'm loads of fun. Just now I pimped the World of Darkness corebook
    over on rec.games.frp.dnd and taunted Terry Austin, both in the same
    post. It's in the d20 / non D&D thread.
    --
    Stephenls
    Geek
    "You do your arguments no favor by insulting those you ought persuade."
    -Greg Stolze, Rites of the Dragon
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    Stephenls wrote:
    > Hong Ooi wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, you're no fun.
    >
    >
    > Oh, I'm loads of fun. Just now I pimped the World of Darkness corebook
    > over on rec.games.frp.dnd and taunted Terry Austin, both in the same
    > post. It's in the d20 / non D&D thread.

    So how long have you been on White Wolf's "paid flack" staff?
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    William wrote:
    > Richard Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> William wrote:
    >>
    >>> Richard Clayton wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Guillaume JAY wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    >>>>> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty
    >>>>>> much what I'd say, only better.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yes, for example : "I heard that the game is a blast for players, but
    >>>>> a real chore to GMs"
    >>>>> It's exactly what I'm thinking, too bad I'm supposed to be the GM...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> This is simply not true. Exalted games practically write
    >>>> themselves; once your players get into the swing of it, they'll have
    >>>> thousands of things they want to do, and you'll have cool ideas
    >>>> coming out of your ears.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Yes, but effective opponents are a chore to build. Building a 50+
    >>> experience Exalt who won't be owned by a circle or massacre them
    >>> without effort takes hours if you manage it at all. Exalted is
    >>> ultimately a min-maxing system, mechanically, and getting it right is
    >>> a pain in the ass.
    >>>
    >>> And that's at the _start_.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I politely suggest you're going at it the wrong way. A rival
    >> Circle of Solars or deathknights isn't going to just run up and tackle
    >> the group in combat; they're going to use the same ultra-heroic
    >> abilities the PCs have. Which means instead of charging straight in,
    >> the enemy Zenith Caste is training an army of fanatically loyal tiger
    >> warriors, the Twilight is equipping them with powerful weapons and
    >> armor, and the Eclipse is establishing mutual defense agreements with
    >> neighboring kingdoms. Sure, your PCs could just charge the gates and
    >> attempt to plow through a few hundred mortal troops who could put the
    >> Empress's Own Guard to shame, but it's more fun if it's run as a
    >> large-scale war between upstart demigods.
    >> There are plenty of other supernaturals who rival or surpass the
    >> power of the newly reborn Solars, from gods to elder Sidereals, and
    >> I've never had trouble creating plots and confrontations that
    >> genuinely endanger the PCs.
    >
    > You completely missed the point. Challenges are abundant and varied, but
    > stating them in such a way that they are what you want them to be takes
    > rediculous (defined, here, as a couple of hours) of time.

    You're right. I DID completely miss your point. On that level, Exalted
    doesn't seem to me to take an excessive amount of prep time, but then
    I'm also the kind of ST who usually DOES spend hours working up story
    material... so I'm not the best of judge of whether Exalted takes more
    than others. (^_^)
    --
    [The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
    Richard Clayton
    "During wars laws are silent." -- Cicero
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:19:32 +0100, Guillaume JAY
    <gjay_diespammer-die@free.fr> wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:55:44 -0800, Stephenls <stephenls@shaw.ca>
    >wrote:
    >>You know, I don't think I'm needed. Everybody is saying pretty much
    >>what I'd say, only better.
    >
    >Yes, for example : "I heard that the game is a blast for players, but
    >a real chore to GMs"
    >It's exactly what I'm thinking, too bad I'm supposed to be the GM...

    To my mind, it shouldn't be that different to running high-level D&D. My
    game is 17th level now, and the amount of work is quite different to the
    situation at low levels. At the same time, I'm not really expecting most
    encounters to be seriously difficult for the PCs, so I'm not fussed if they
    mow through most of the opposition -- as long as they do it in style. Which
    I gather is the general philosophy of Exalted.

    What I'm hoping for from Exalted is that it'll have less of the laundry-
    list problem in D&D. When I was playing in another high-level game, there
    were quite a few times where I found something on my character sheet that I
    have no idea where it came from. PCs in Exalted may be able to do seriously
    crazy stuff, but hopefully they'll have an easier time keeping track of
    what seriously crazy stuff they can do.


    --
    Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
    hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"
    http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ | -- RR
    Sydney, Australia |
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.whitewolf (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:48:48 GMT, Richard Clayton
    <recZIGlaytonZIG@verizon.net> wrote:
    > This is simply not true. Exalted games practically write themselves;
    >once your players get into the swing of it, they'll have thousands of
    >things they want to do,

    I totally agree (and that's a part of what I really like in
    Exalted, and why I think that Exalted is and must be "a blast for
    players"), but that's not my problem in gming Exalted.

    My problem is.... with the mechanical part of creating,
    defining and handling the npcs. Above all, for combat.

    Guillaume
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Video Games