ephexx793

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Hello, I am coming here out of desperation and headache. I am currently looking to upgrade my monitor, and it is way harder than I expected. Let's get right to it, then.. In case you need to know, I'm using a GTX 560 SLI setup.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-001-550&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3&RandomID=1117417317210015920120929142124 - which is currently on sale but expires at midnight. It's got great reviews, and looks to be an awesome monitor for the price - especially on sale, however it does not support 75hz @ 1920x1080.

I was looking for an LCD (LED backlight or not) that could support 1920x1080 @ 75hz - sadly, I have found out that for some reason that is impossible.. Can anybody enlighten me as to why? The main use for my computer is gaming and every-day use. I want the 75hz because I know 60hz really strains your eyes and in general 75hz would provide smoother FPS and a nicer picture overall.

I also don't want to break the bank with this purchase, I wasn't looking to spend over $250, with $300 being my absolute max..

That being said, I have considered 120hz monitors - this seems a bit overkill for me, but other than that all I can find are monitors that support 75hz @ lower, non-native resolutions which obviously I want to stay using the native resolution because going lower than that would provide an even worse-generated picture overall.

Basically, I'm really confused as to why monitors can't support 1920x1080 @75hz and now I have no clue what monitor I should be looking to get. I have a very good understanding and decent technological experience, but monitors are one thing I never meddled with much - there's not much to meddle with in the first place, I just don't know which specs are important when looking to purchase one.

Do I just need to unwrap my mind around the whole 'greater than 60hz' ordeal?

Solution

As to the 75hz @ 1080p question. The problem is, (standard) DVI-D, HDMI and VGA connections do not have enough bandwidth to support 75hz at 1080p. They can at 720p, but not at 1080p. If they are going to move to dual-link DVI or displayport as an option, there is...

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

That is a very good monitor for the price and the specs are real nice. You could also consider a 3 monitor setup in the future with those 560's in SLI. Three of those monitors would be killer.

ephexx793

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for all the responses guys.

About ASUS... I had bad experiences dealing with them when I had to return a mobo, the process took a solid two months and I was out on a computer until I finally got sent a new one after countless headaches and a LOT of arguing. Their customer service is not only horrible, but incredibly rude and simply do not give a rat's ass about you whatsoever. I even spoke to the Manager, and he was no more professional than the minimum wage peons before him. It was pathetic, and after that I vowed to never buy another ASUS product again.. It sucks, because I'm seeing all these monitors by ASUS that look good, but I along with many others have been treated very poorly by ASUS for the amount of $ we put into products these days.
/rant

Anyways, can anyone explain to me why monitors won't run 75hz @ 1920x1080

That ASUS monitor you linked even says it supports 75hz, as many other monitors do, but it doesn't say that it supports it while using 1920x1080 resolution, and there's no point in using the monitor outside it's native display res. in terms of quality and performance.

Am thinking of just saving for this 120hz.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009222

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
In Australia, ASUS is pretty good but I can understand your reluctance totally given your experience. I don't know much about Acer. It looks like a good monitor. Have you considered any 27" monitors? Some are around the $300 mark.

ephexx793

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Well, I feel like in paying for a 27" monitor I am going outside of my price range unnecessarily. I don't need that BIG of a monitor, albeit it's not substantially larger, I am more looking for a nicer picture and a higher refresh rate to take it easy on my eyes while also promoting smoother FPS and gameplay in general.

I still don't understand why monitors won't run 1920x1080 @ 75hz - but I will most likely end up saving for that Acer 120hz since it is only $250.

ephexx793

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Yep - that's the plan, thanks for the help guys!

If anyone stumbles across this and knows WHY monitors can't run 1920x1080 resolution @ 75hz, I am very intrigued to learn.

Thanks again!

As to the 75hz @ 1080p question. The problem is, (standard) DVI-D, HDMI and VGA connections do not have enough bandwidth to support 75hz at 1080p. They can at 720p, but not at 1080p. If they are going to move to dual-link DVI or displayport as an option, there is really no reason to stop at 75hz, so they go to 120hz instead.

I personally use a 120hz monitor, and it greatly helps games become more responsive if you have good FPS. This responsiveness helps reduce motion sickness for myself and others. For me, I experience nausea due to motion sickness, which headaches are a symptom of as well, but that isn't to say that is what is causing you headaches.

There is another very common reason people get headaches at 60hz, and that is the flickering of CRT monitors. If you have a CRT monitor (the old tube style TV and monitor that is very deep in size and are typically not flat), your problem may go away with any LCD/LED monitor, as they do not flicker.

So, if you do have a CRT, you may find that any LCD will solve your issues, but if you experience motion sickness due to low FPS/responsiveness, then you'll want a 120hz monitor. To test, you could try playing a game and turn up the settings high enough so that FPS drop to 30. If you find yourself getting a headache much faster than normal, then you likely need a 120hz monitor. If the FPS difference between 30 and 60 does not give you a headache any faster than normal, a 60hz LCD/LED monitor will do the trick.

If you already have a LCD at 60hz, then a 120hz monitor is the only thing that may help you.

Solution

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Why would you turn up the settings to make them 30FPS when the monitor can display 60FPS? Why not check it at 60FPS to see and then if you have an issue possibly consider a 120Hz monitor (which I personally don't have but don't see the need for either). Remember though to take advantage of the extra FPS the monitor can handle you'd have to lower settings even more.

If he has a CRT monitor, there are 2 possibilities to his problem; motion sickness, or the flickering of a CRT monitor. As a test, to find out if he gets motion sickness, and would be helped in that regard by moving to 120hz, I presented a test. If he gets motion sickness as a result of low refresh rate and FPS, he would likely experience much worse the lower his FPS are (it does for myself and many others). If he finds that low FPS gives him headaches much faster than at 60 FPS, he probably will want to buy a 120hz monitor.

ephexx793

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I am actually using a LCD @ 60hz with 1920x1080 res atm - I haven't used a CRT in years.. I do understand the flickering aspect of CRT's - and as for nasuea and motion sickness, that is not a problem for me at all (thankfully). I mainly find my eyes very strained after a nice gaming session, and honestly after a while it certainly takes a toll on your vision - however that is not only the refresh rate, but also looking at an object less than 5 feet from your face for hours on-end. I also tend to get minor headaches from extended usage - but again, this may not be the monitor's fault, but simply focusing on the game for so long, or simply getting a little 'strung out' mentally - you've gotta take a break eventually!

Thanks for explaining that reasoning behind the 75hz@1920x1080 - it definitely cleared up the fog in that area for me. I will be going with a 120hz monitor because my system is capable of putting out good FPS, but I'm not taking advantage of that with a 60Hz monitor, and as stated, to reduce strain on my eyes.

Thanks again for all the help everybody!

Eye strain is a symptom of motion sickness. It is possible that is still your problem. Not everyone gets nausea with motion sickness. Since you are going for a 120hz monitor, you should find out soon enough.

If you think it's due to having the monitor too close, you can look to go into a 27" monitor and place it further from you. That may help as well.

ephexx793

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I thought I had read somewhere that the eye strain is from remaining focused on an object that is less than 20 ft. away from you for so long, but it can help to look away every 5 minutes or so to re-focus on farther objects? It's definitely an interesting topic - I only wonder because I never have felt any sort of motion sickness (eye strain, or any other symptom) when reading in cars, going out on boats, etc.

Definitely interesting, though- looking forward to finding out AND to seeing better performance ;)

Well, eye strain can be a symptom of many things. If it is about focusing too much on a monitor that is close to you, you might expect to feel eye strain reading a book, as you focus on words close to you. It could be the brightness of the monitor. Some people suggest turning on room lights to help if that is the case.

However, with the compter, I should call it simulator sickness, as it isn't truly motion sickness, it just feels the same. The cause of it for me is the latency between moving your mouse and having the screen update the image. When that delay is great enough, it can cause headaches or nausea.

Motion sickness caused by reading a book is caused by you focusing on something still relative to you, but your body is moving, which disorients the mind. This happens on boats as well. Looking at land helps a lot, so your mind recognizes that you are moving up and down.

Anyways, you won't know until you try. I wish you luck.

TRENDING THREADS