Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1500 Home Business / Photoshop

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 23, 2012 11:54:24 PM

What improvements does everyone see? I am not naive enough to think I have it anywhere near correct.

Uses:
--Photoshop picture / video editing
--Multitasking -- Large amount of tabbed browsing / photoshop / document editing simultaneously
-- Dual Monitor + 60" HDTV Connection

I would like to keep it under $1500 probably more near $1200 if possible.

Do not need monitors / keyboard, mouse / operating system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: Card Reader
Total: $1246.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 20:41 EST-0500)
November 24, 2012 12:05:13 AM

You may want to look at getting an AMD graphics card to help gets better performance for your budget. 7850 or 7870 are good models and should be similarly priced. Of course, it is all preference; if you prefer nvidia, then it looks like a good build.
One last thing, if your video editing, you may want a blu-ray burner to get high quality if your burning to hard copy any of your work.
Hope this helps :) 
m
0
l
November 24, 2012 12:05:21 AM

Quote:
You may want to look at getting an AMD graphics card to help gets better performance for your budget. 7850 or 7870 are good models and should be similarly priced. Of course, it is all preference; if you prefer nvidia, then it looks like a good build.


For games I'd agree easily but not for Photoshop - Adobe programs greatly benefit from CUDA and the AMD cards don't have that.

There's no point in spending $1500 on a build and getting last year's hardware. If you get any card reader the only one that's worth anything is the one made by AFT. You will most likely not benefit from overclocking for your uses so there's no point in getting an unlocked CPU.

Go with this instead:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1302.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 21:08 EST-0500)
m
0
l
Related resources
November 24, 2012 12:40:35 AM

I did go with your CPU recommendation, as well as the video card, SSD and optical drive.

And thanks for the card read recommendation by AFT. That was something I had a question on but had forgot to ask.

Is there a benefit of going with 2 x 8 GB ram over 4 x 4 GB ? I have no problem either way, just curious.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: Card Reader
Total: $1434.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 21:39 EST-0500)
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 3:12:54 PM

nigalor said:
I did go with your CPU recommendation, as well as the video card, SSD and optical drive.

And thanks for the card read recommendation by AFT. That was something I had a question on but had forgot to ask.

Is there a benefit of going with 2 x 8 GB ram over 4 x 4 GB ? I have no problem either way, just curious.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Other: Card Reader
Total: $1434.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-23 21:39 EST-0500)



You may want to re-think the P67-based motherboard and go with the previously-recommended H77. For that 3770K processor, I think it needs the 3rd-gen IvyBridge chipset support instead of the 1st/2nd-gen IvyBridge...
m
0
l
November 28, 2012 3:23:39 PM

Martyr99 said:
You may want to re-think the P67-based motherboard and go with the previously-recommended H77. For that 3770K processor, I think it needs the 3rd-gen IvyBridge chipset support instead of the 1st/2nd-gen IvyBridge...


Yeah you can't use a P67 motherboard with Ivy Bridge - you will need an existing CPU in order to update the BIOS. H77 already has that support built in.
m
0
l
!