Solved

Good specs, but low FPS? Help?

Hey ladies and gents,

Recently purchased a GTX 660 Ti (uprade from my GTS 450), thinking it should fix my low FPS woes.

Unfortunately, I'm getting stuttering/low fps all through my SC2 (at Medium settings) and only 10fps in WoW (at Good settings).

Here's the specs for my pc at the moment:

i5 760 @ 2.8ghz
GTX 660 Ti
4GB Corsair RAM
1TB Western Digitial Black (fresh install of Windows 7)
ASUS P7P55 LX Motherboard

Happy to post screenshots of GPU-z and CPU-z and even task manager if so needed.

I've recently downloaded new drivers for the card and did the "Clean Install" option in the installer it provided.

So to sum up: I'm getting remarkably low fps in both SC2 and WoW (haven't really tested any other games) despite having a fantastic machine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as spending $330 on a new GPU that hasn't solved my issue isn't exactly my idea of fun.

Thanks.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good specs help
  1. So you had the problems before your new GPU? What are your CPU and GPU temps under load?
  2. Yeah, but I thought it may have been my graphics card.

Starcraft 2
    =========
    GPU temp: 33.0^C with a 44% load
    CPU temp: 99^C at ~23% load
  3. CPU temp at 99C? That's absolutely insane. That might be your problem right there. What are you using to monitor the temperatures?

What power supply are you using?
  4. Could be the CPU heatsink isn't seated properly. With such a high temperature the CPU is probably throttling back and therefore performing far below its potential.
  5. Yeah this temp is ridiculous. Using Realtemp 3.70.

PSU: Silverstone 500W SST-ST50F-ES

Guessing I should reseat my heatsink?
  6. Best answer
    Holy smokes. Reseat your HSF or get an aftermarket one. That CPU throttles down at 75C I think, so you're not getting full performance out of it, much less your graphics card.
  7. Well, embarrassingly enough, it looks as though my problem SHOULD be solved. It is a Sunday (Australia) so finding heatsink is going to be tricky. I'll post again later to see if it fixes the issue. Thanks everyone.
  8. Turbonerdular said:
    Well, embarrassingly enough, it looks as though my problem SHOULD be solved. It is a Sunday (Australia) so finding heatsink is going to be tricky. I'll post again later to see if it fixes the issue. Thanks everyone.

http://youtu.be/mqVzRD_nWLQ?t=44s
  9. That link is so relevant it hurts.
  10. jessterman21 said:

Now THAT is good.
  11. Turbonerdular said:
    Well, embarrassingly enough, it looks as though my problem SHOULD be solved. It is a Sunday (Australia) so finding heatsink is going to be tricky. I'll post again later to see if it fixes the issue. Thanks everyone.

what do you mean finding one ? you already have one. just pull it of, clean up, reapply thermal paste and re-seat the heat sink and fan.......... but do it right this time.
  12. Was referring to the thermal paste, not heatsink. Sorry for the confusion.
  13. Turbonerdular said:
    Was referring to the thermal paste, not heatsink. Sorry for the confusion.

You can order it online if you want. Arctic Silver 5 is good.
  14. Roommate is getting someone on his way home from work. Should be fixed in the next few hours. Thanks again!
  15. No problem. Just make sure the heatsink is seated properly.
  16. What heatsink are you using by the way? Stock, or an aftermarket? If the latter, what brand?
  17. Heatsink is stock. Worth it to invest in an aftermarket?
  18. A decent aftermarket cooler will keep your CPU cooler than the stock one, often making less noise too.
  19. Good advice. Might get myself one, considering Summer is approaching.
  20. there are cheap aftermarket coolers but are still very decent like some from cooler master
  21. Best answer selected by Turbonerdular.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Low FPS World Of Warcraft Graphics