Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD APU > Radeon HD 5670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2012 2:02:22 AM

Are any of the AMD APU's integrated graphics better than a Radeon HD 5670? I don't want anything like "Just get an i5" because I don't want to hear that fanboy junk. I don't need any more power than a Radeon HD 5670. A link that proves your reply would be nice :)  Thanks! :D 

More about : amd apu radeon 5670

a c 190 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 2:18:16 AM

The new Trinity might be able to, but I doubt it. The 5670 is a good card still.
a c 75 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 2:41:30 AM

The A10-5800k may more or less match it. Tom's tested a Radeon HD 6670 with a Pentium G620 against an overclocked AMD A8-3870k, and the Radeon/Pentium combo came out on top. The A10-5800k seems to beat the old A8-3870k by a similar margin.
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 3:38:51 AM

for llanos, only when its overclocked heavily with good ram speeds. with trinity, its possible to have relatively the same power.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 4:05:20 AM

The number of shaders is cut down on A6 vs A8(maybe lower starting clock, too). A8 3870K will hit 3.5-4ghz on the core with a good cooler(spring for a
hyper 212+ for 20 bucks over the tx3 used in the tom's article). You also need a decent fm1 mobo(like in the article. Tom's used a different model than
the expert suggested). idk if desktop piledriver A10s are out yet(socket fm2), but they are faster on both the cpu cores(in most cases) and in gpu
performance than older A8s at stock(probably more overclockable, too). You would want A10 5800k. It depends on whether the hd5670 in question is a
gddr5 model or one with gddr3. At stock, the gpu in A8 3870K is more like a HD5570 gddr3, but with fast ram(1866) and a gpu overclock it may well best
a gddr3 5670. The gpu in 5800K is more like a 6670 gddr3(probably quite a bit faster once overclocked). I don't know what fm2 mobo is good for OCing.

Sorry if the points in this post were a little jumbled. Edit: You'd want fast ram when overclocking the gpu in 5800K as well.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 4:25:50 AM

Trinity, that is all.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 5:42:39 AM

Is it out yet though(on the desktop)? If not now, when? Maybe the op doesn't want to wait and wants to build now.
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 5:46:06 AM

desktop trinity is slated for the end of the first week of october, so litterally, a week and a few days from now.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 6:07:11 AM

Good to know(if it actually comes out then). Still, what mobos would be good for overclocking a 5800K?
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 6:07:40 AM

jtenorj said:
The number of shaders is cut down on A6 vs A8(maybe lower starting clock, too). A8 3870K will hit 3.5-4ghz on the core with a good cooler(spring for a
hyper 212+ for 20 bucks over the tx3 used in the tom's article). You also need a decent fm1 mobo(like in the article. Tom's used a different model than
the expert suggested). idk if desktop piledriver A10s are out yet(socket fm2), but they are faster on both the cpu cores(in most cases) and in gpu
performance than older A8s at stock(probably more overclockable, too). You would want A10 5800k. It depends on whether the hd5670 in question is a
gddr5 model or one with gddr3. At stock, the gpu in A8 3870K is more like a HD5570 gddr3, but with fast ram(1866) and a gpu overclock it may well best
a gddr3 5670. The gpu in 5800K is more like a 6670 gddr3(probably quite a bit faster once overclocked). I don't know what fm2 mobo is good for OCing.

Sorry if the points in this post were a little jumbled. Edit: You'd want fast ram when overclocking the gpu in 5800K as well.

I'm not aware of any Radeon 6670 GDDR3. I know of the DDR3 models and GDDR5 models, but this'd be the first of me hearing about a GDDR3 model. Are you sure that they exist?
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 6:16:04 AM

I really don't see much difference. Both graphics ddr3 and ddr3 in a system are similar(as far as clocks are concerned). In fact, desktop ddr3 has gotten faster since it's still the main thing in that arena and graphics have largely switched to gddr5. Desktop ram can be as fast as 2800(1400 ddr). The fastest gddr3 I can remember on a gpu was the nearly 2500(about 1250 ddr) vram on a gtx285.

On a side note, I've heard rumblings of desktops moving to ddr4 in the near future. GDDR5 has surpassed initial expectations of reaching 7ghz(at least as far as overclocking goes. Some professional reviewers have gotten gddr5 to run faster than 7ghz stable on certain cards).
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 6:21:59 AM

ddr4 standards are more or less starting to be settled. though i dont expect ddr to push out till 2014, or end of 2013 at the earliest. the ram schedule will probably have to release in time for at least one of the major cpu developers(intel or amd) to release a new cpu on a new motherboard for best sales. the earliest they can catch it is haswell, but i personally dont see it coming till at least broadwell/skylake, or amd steamroller(or excavator)
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 6:51:24 AM

jtenorj said:
I really don't see much difference. Both graphics ddr3 and ddr3 in a system are similar(as far as clocks are concerned). In fact, desktop ddr3 has gotten faster since it's still the main thing in that arena and graphics have largely switched to gddr5. Desktop ram can be as fast as 2800(1400 ddr). The fastest gddr3 I can remember on a gpu was the nearly 2500(about 1250 ddr) vram on a gtx285.

On a side note, I've heard rumblings of desktops moving to ddr4 in the near future. GDDR5 has surpassed initial expectations of reaching 7ghz(at least as far as overclocking goes. Some professional reviewers have gotten gddr5 to run faster than 7ghz stable on certain cards).

GDDR3 is a modified DR2 whereas DDR3 is a much more different technology. GDDR3 is generally clocked higher than DDR3 on cards that have it and it has other, non-bandwidth related advantages over DDR3.

EDIT: DDR3 also has it's own advantages such as being cheaper and more power-efficient than GDDR3 as well as nowadays being able to clock higher. Also, GDDR5 isn't hitting 7GHz frequencies, it's hitting no more than half that. It's still a DDR tech (kinda QDR, but it's actually still DDR if you really look into it) and that shouldn't be forgotten.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 11:10:05 AM

I know gddr5 isn't actually 7 ghz, but when you overclock to 1750mhz or higher(actual clock), you get 7 giga transfers per second or more.
a c 75 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 30, 2012 11:30:27 AM

jtenorj said:

dudewitbow said:
ddr4 standards are more or less starting to be settled. though i dont expect ddr to push out till 2014, or end of 2013 at the earliest. the ram schedule will probably have to release in time for at least one of the major cpu developers(intel or amd) to release a new cpu on a new motherboard for best sales. the earliest they can catch it is haswell, but i personally dont see it coming till at least broadwell/skylake, or amd steamroller(or excavator)

Consumer Haswell chips will still use DDR3. The specification for DDR4 has just been finalized by JEDEC (just this week actually), and production in earnest has also more or less just begun, aimed at the server market.
September 30, 2012 12:04:45 PM

Guys, this thread is about graphics cards, not RAM...

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 12:10:36 PM

ChaseCTech said:
Guys, this thread is about graphics cards, not RAM...

It's very unlikely that DDR4 will be used on graphics cards much before it hits the mainstream consumer system RAM market, if not afterwards. This makes the CPU system RAM hit time relevant to graphics cards in the context of DDR4.

Also, we've answered your question. If you have any more, then feel free to ask, but I must ask you to choose a best answer if you don't have anything else to ask. That way people know that this thread is solved. We've already told you that the upcoming Trinity A10s, paired with good memory such as DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133, is better than the Radeon 5670 DDR3. If you want proof, then you can simply go to www.tomshardware.com and there are Trinity benchmarks and previews right on the home page right now.
September 30, 2012 1:10:54 PM

luciferano said:
It's very unlikely that DDR4 will be used on graphics cards much before it hits the mainstream consumer system RAM market, if not afterwards. This makes the CPU system RAM hit time relevant to graphics cards in the context of DDR4.

Also, we've answered your question. If you have any more, then feel free to ask, but I must ask you to choose a best answer if you don't have anything else to ask. That way people know that this thread is solved. We've already told you that the upcoming Trinity A10s, paired with good memory such as DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133, is better than the Radeon 5670 DDR3. If you want proof, then you can simply go to www.tomshardware.com and there are Trinity benchmarks and previews right on the home page right now.
Good point lol... carry on :) 
September 30, 2012 1:13:52 PM

Best answer selected by ChaseCTech.
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 1:57:42 PM

ChaseCTech said:
Good point lol... carry on :) 

You're welcome for the help that we've provided and good luck with your next system or your next upgrade to your current system, however you choose to go about it :) 
!